MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Lost Man, plus links to write your own review.

by Jane Harper

The Lost Man by Jane Harper X
The Lost Man by Jane Harper

Feb 2019, 320 pages
    Dec 2019, 368 pages

There are currently 41 reader reviews for The Lost Man

Diane D. (Mount Pleasant, SC)

Fantastic Family Saga
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Lost Man by Jane Harper. An engrossing story of three brothers growing up and living in the Australian Outback, Harper immediately draws the reader in with a death. What follows is a satisfying journey into the family's past, rife with secrets and betrayals. Harper's descriptions of the dry, vast outback will leave you thirsty! I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy a great family drama where you are invested in each and every character and enjoy some twists and turns!
Randi H. (Bronx, NY)

Excellent!
I thought The Lost Man was a wonderful book and enjoyed it even more than Jane Harper's previous two entertaining novels featuring Aaron Falk.
Very atmospherically set in the Australia outback, The Lost Man centers its story around family dynamics and how the choices we make have consequences, intended or not. Nathan Bright must come to terms with his decisions when his brother Cameron dies, under what may or may not be suspicious circumstances.
This book lingers in my mind long after I finished reading it.
Joan B. (Ellicott City, MD)

The Lost Man
The Prologue took me to the Outback that I experienced nearly twenty years ago. Descriptively, the desolation and solitude surpassed imagination. The reader could relate to the Bright family's struggle for survival.

Three brothers were dealing with normal sibling rivalry as well as the psychological tension of mysterious incidents. Nathan, the older, and Cameron, middle child, traded 6yplaces as protagonist and antagonist from day to day. Bub, much younger, did not show much of his personality.

The framework of the story included a series of interactions that inferred the basis of a mystery. Which of the brothers was really lost? How did maturing in the Bright family affect each brother's response to the family problems and pleasures?

The resolution to this mystery is one that is gourmet food for thought. It is a great basis for a stimulating book club discussion. This is a great thought-provoking read...DO IT!
Elizabeth S. (East Hartford, CT)

Another winner from Australian Jane Harper
Jane Harper's third novel, a stand alone, again takes place in the vast outback of Australia. Once again she focuses on a death with few possible suspects. Amazingly, she manages to turn the plot many ways without ever revealing the culprit until the very end. I read this in one sitting, forgoing dinner and sleep to find out what secrets were hidden in this rural shepherding family. Neither violent nor focuses on a damsel in distress, Harper provides a gripping plot sure to hold your attention.
Sandi W.

imagination and brilliant storytelling
How refreshing! Just a really nice novel with a general fiction story line. Set in Australia, in the very outback, with minimal characters and subtle plot surrounding a family. The novel speaks of love, relationships, heredity, loss and endurance. Of how things are handed down in a family, both by nature and by nurture, or the lack thereof. Somewhat of a mystery, somewhat of a love story, but definitely a well written novel.

Well written, as expected from Jane Harper, the author of the Aaron Falk series. Harper takes you right into the story and makes you a character, as she also does the landscape. You may not have a speaking part, but you are there nonetheless. Feeling the pain, the joy and confusion of each of her characters. She writes with a freshness that eludes a lot of authors, and a straightforwardness that gives you that immediate sense of belonging. And not surprising, is that you welcome the opportunity to be swept away in her imagination and brilliant storytelling.
Nikki M. (Fort Wayne, IN)

Good Aussie Mystery
The setting of "The Lost Man" plays a key role in the plot of this mystery. A very lonely, stark desolate Australian landscape matched the characters lives and actions. I felt the entire novel had a sense of sadness and loneliness. I did not see the surprise ending coming!
Deborah C. (Seattle, WA)

A Book About Place
Another great book by Jane Harper! To me, the most important "character" in the book was the isolated Australian outback where the story takes place. The location informs every aspect of the story, and the author did an amazing job of describing the rugged--almost alien--terrain as well as its impact on the people who live there. While I felt the book was a little slow to get started, and I wouldn't characterize it as a page turner, I would definitely recommend this to fans of family drama, with the added bonus of exploring a fascinating, but unforgiving, environment from the comfort of your own home.
Anne G. (Austin, TX)

The Lost Man by Jane Harper
This book opens with a dead body and proceeds with a strong sense of foreboding. Add in the Australian outback where harsh conditions and hundreds of miles separate landowners and you've got the first hundred pages of Jane Harper's The Lost Man. Brothers Nathan, Cameron, and Bub know these conditions and how to survive. But when Cam turns up dead with no signs of struggle and a truck full of water and supplies, the remaining brothers are not willing to accept heat and dehydration as the cause of his death.

If you've read either of Harper's previous books you know they start with a slow build, the revealing of a number of clues and the developing story until she adeptly brings it all back together for the emotional resolution and wrap-up.

The characters in this story were so strong and the reader is drawn into this family circle that feels both loving and broken. I think this is my favorite yet.

Cattle Ranching in Australia

• Book Jacket: Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    by Dexter Palmer
    The year is 1726 and the sleepy town of Godalming has been rocked by scandal. Called to the bedside ...
  • Book Jacket: Life Undercover
    Life Undercover
    by Amaryllis Fox
    Life Undercover, a riveting true-adventure memoir, reveals how and why a young woman decides to work...
  • Book Jacket: Celestial Bodies
    Celestial Bodies
    by Jokha Alharthi
    One typically expects to find a detailed family tree adorning the opening pages of, say, an epic ...
  • Book Jacket: All-American Muslim Girl
    All-American Muslim Girl
    by Nadine Jolie Courtney
    16-year-old Allie (Alia) Abraham, with her fair coloring, has always been able to "pass" for an All-...

by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

You Were There Too
    by Colleen Oakley

Acclaimed author Colleen Oakley delivers a heart-wrenching and unforgettable love story.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win American Dirt

"A Grapes of Wrath for our times." - Don Winslow

This debut is already being hailed as a new American classic, and is the first book to receive a perfect 5-stars from BookBrowse reviewers!

V I T S Of L