What readers think of The Travelling Cat Chronicles, plus links to write your own review.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Oct 2018, 288 pages

There are currently 40 reader reviews for The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Mary Anne

The Traveling Cat Chronicles
I loved having a bright, funny, sensitive cat for the narrator. This novel has so many emotions displayed through the characters. It is a wonderful read.
DJCMinor

A Terrific Book
The Traveling Cat Chronicles is a treat of a book. It depicts a young man whose life has been difficult, but he continues to stay positive and to show others how to live. His goodness in rescuing the cat he names Nana because the cat's tail resembles the number 7 and nana is 7 in Japanese reaffirms faith in others. The book is a delight.
Therese X. (Calera, AL)

Have Cat Will Travel and Find Much Wisdom
A smart, street-wise cat with no name learns that his best "home" is on the hood of a silver van near an apartment complex, warmed by the sun and owned by a human named Saturo Myawaki. The young man calls him "Mr. Cat", bringing him treats and chatting, unaware that this cat is observing the human's world and philosophizing to himself on cat life in general. One evening, a careless driver knocks the cat for a loop and with a broken leg he hobbles howling toward the apartment complex. Saturo hears the howling and rushes down to take care of his new friend as he heals, and naming him "Nana" after the shape of his cat tail in the form of a Chinese seven. He adopts Nana and they live in harmony for a quite a while, but eventually Saturo has to be on the move, and they head out in the silver van. Riding along, music playing, Nana's thoughts are do a running commentary on Saturo's choice of music, his own philosophy of life and his partial curiosity about humans as they flash past them on the road.

At one point in their companionable trip, they meet up with Saturo's former school friends. Nana has travelled far with his owner and met two other friends who have quite a history together—and they like cats. Saturo's friends have been through family problems and and tragedy, but the friendships are an intriguing part of the overall story. The ongoing travel always includes continuing mental commentary by the eminent and humorously droll Nana who also takes time to teach a young, orange kitten how to fight! This treasure of a book was well worth sharing the journey of Saturo and his beloved cat and learning the value of old friends as well as learning new life lessons. There are reasons to feel sad when the novel ends, but there truly is no end because the story is filled with hope and worth a reread to keep the feeling going.
Carolyn L. (Summerville, SC)

Satoru and Nana
I enjoyed this book very much. It started a little slowly for me, but I was soon drawn in by the relationship between Satoru and his cat Nana, and Nana's perky personality. We see the pair visiting several of his old friends, and we learn how Satoru's thoughtfulness has had a lasting effect in different ways on each of them. This novel beautifully expresses the mutual love many of us experience with our pets. A sweet and gentle read.
Carol N. (Indian Springs Village, AL)

The Tao of Traveling Cats
I loved this book from the beginning, but I am probably biased because of my love for cats. They are so intelligent and yes, loving, and I have been blessed to share my life and home with many over the years. The cat in this book, Nana, is similar to my cats with the attitude but different in the love of travel. Every time I have taken a cat in the car, you would think it was being executed. I laughed, cried and loved this book so much. Sharing the travels with this duo is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon or two.
Mark O. (Wenatchee, WA)

A Book for Your Travel Kit
The Travelling Cat Chronicles is of the small genre of in-the-mind-of-an-animal fiction: dogs, rabbits, or (in this book) a cat (Nana). Nana's human (Satoru) and Nana embark on a road trip across Japan, the past and the future bumping into each other at their stopovers. Even as a dog person, I bonded with Nana. One of the essential functions of fiction is to be a flight simulator, allowing us to experience life's joys and exigencies in advance and so be readier for reality. I'm grateful to have gone with Satoru and Nana on their trip. I have their story in my travel kit.
Darcy C. (San Diego, CA)

Serenity in a Book. Terrific read!
I would give this read 8 stars if I could --what a sweet read! I generally lean towards mystery/suspense and I was looking forward to a book on the mellow side. This refreshing book totally engaged me and also tickled my cat-lady bones!

Arikawa captured Nana's personality to a "T" and this would be a spot-on gift for any cat-lover! I vicariously traveled with this duo in their silver van and was thoroughly enchanted by their success with travelling with a cat in the car. (my cat generally produces howling and caterwauling (couldn't resist) as if we are on the way to the axe-murderer's house....)

I was completely wrapped-up in the story of their journey of finding a new home for Nana; I correctly guessed the reason for their search but this did not take away from the magic of their journey and story. The last 1/4 of the book utterly surprised me. Just proving that most cats are strong-willed and impossible to impose your will upon their desires. (Any cat lover will totally understand this.)

This book was 100 enjoyable pages and was a quick read and put me in such an optimistic mood. I'd like to see more books with Nana The Cat; I'm a fan for all nine of Nana's lives! Meow.
Laurie W. (Sunnyvale, CA)

For cats and their humans
I read Paul Gallico's "The Silent Miaow" many years ago and loved hearing about the world from a cat's perspective, so I was excited to get an ARC copy of "The Travelling Cat Chronicles." It did not disappoint. At first it seemed like a lighthearted adventure, a young man (Satoru) and his adopted stray cat (Nana) drive around Japan in a van visiting friends from Satoru's past, looking for one who is able to adopt Nana. Along the way we learn about relationships, friendships, and family. The love that Satoru has for Nana is obvious, so we spend much of the book wondering, along with Nana, why Satoru feels he needs to find Nana another home. As we and Nana near the end of the story and learn the truth, the tale becomes poignant and heartrending. Cat lovers and anyone who has experienced the special bond between a human and their pet will appreciate this touching story.

Cats in Japanese Culture

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Yonder
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...
  • Book Jacket: Churchill's Shadow
    Churchill's Shadow
    by Geoffrey Wheatcroft
    Another book about Winston Churchill? Even with the astronomical number of titles written about the ...
  • Book Jacket: 1000 Years of Joys and Sorrows
    1000 Years of Joys and Sorrows
    by Ai Weiwei
    Ai Weiwei is such an influential and innovative artist and activist that a memoir focused purely on ...
  • Book Jacket: Honor
    Honor
    by Thrity Umrigar
    First Impressions readers enjoyed being transported to India via Thrity Umrigar's novel Honor, with ...

My Broken Language
by Quiara Alegría Hudes
A Pulitzer Prize–winning playwright tells her lyrical coming of age story in a sprawling Puerto Rican family.

The Paris Bookseller
    by Kerri Maher

How a humble bookseller fought incredible odds to bring one of the 20th century's most important books to the world.

Free
    by Lea Ypi

"Nothing short of a masterpiece."
    Publishers Weekly

Choose an author as you would a friend

A P O B Y Houses