Reader reviews and comments on Angels & Demons, plus links to write your own review.

Angels & Demons

Jun 2001, 480 pages

There are currently 56 reader reviews for Angels & Demons

E

aad
The book was well written, and i enjoyed it, despite being catholic. People should just accept that it is a NOVEL, and he is not trying to give us facts. The reason that it is not a five is that Langdon is too clueless compared to the DVC. Good read though.
Raul

It was good and worth the 9 bucks I paid for it, but it wasn't great. There were some slow really slow parts leading up to the murder scenes and other action. It also had alot of "analyzing" of clues. It was kind of hard to believe that he figured everything out, except for some easy ones that Vittoria solved despite the fact that she didn't know anything about symbology and he was the expert. He also managed to escape death too many times under some unrealistic means. Boy is he lucky that glass wasn't just a bit thicker, or that foamy water makes the parachute-less fall from several miles up survivable??? (yes, I know the windshield cover slowed it down some, but whatever). Don't get me wrong it was enjoyable through most of the book. Just some parts were slow and unbelievable. Oh and Vittoria seemed really hot, lucky Langdon got some in the end.
Anuradha Hemdev

I think the book is great. Not only because it offers a suspense story filled with action and thrill but also because it offers a lot of information. Never had I known about a mighty brotherhood called illuminati and never had I imagined that such would be the process of papal election. It is difficult for me to beleive that there exists such a powerful form of energy today that can either make or break this planet. I enjoyed reading every page of this book and while reading I was amazed at how little I knew about some of the mankinds ancient secrets. Its definitely worth a read!

shockme17

ok i just finished the book and i think it was great. i may have skipped over this crucial fact in my late hours of reading, but who was the hassassin? if someone could post on here, or email me , that would be greatly appreciated : shockme17@fusemail.com.

Sean, 22
Sarah

& -
I found the book to be paradoxically entertaining and annoying. On the plus side, It is a good story with a lot of twists. I appreciate the fast pace and the layers of discovery, which even shock scholars like Langdon et al. Over and over. Annoying.
Moreover, I definitely felt similar to Mister Lennox concerning the thesaurus issue - there is an indulgent use of obscure words that only loosely describe what is intended throughout. The inaccuracies are very disappointing as they throw a shadow of novelty to the novel which then, for me, makes the theme of God and Catholicism seem devaluing. It didn't really sit right with me. I can see why it has became so popular because it seems so sensational, and maybe it seems to give the reader more fulfillment than an average novel in terms of historical and cultural knowledge - but it is a load of bollocks, really.
Alison Crowley

As forumulaic as the driven wind>.
The Reviewer at the Open Critic has this to say about Angels and Demons"

"Angels and Demons is as formula driven as the driven snow. That’s neither good nor bad. What makes a book transcend the formula is if we forget the formula itself. On this point Dan Brown succeeds. Perhaps too well … as a writer I marvelled throughout at how well he was applying the standard. It was so well applied that instead of wishing he would cover it with at least a modicum of care, I applauded each step along the way as he broke into smaller and smaller bits; racing for instance to rescue the ’soon to be slaughtered,’ not just once but once every 6 hours." ( www.theopencritic.com )

The rest of the review continues on in a similar vein. I have to say I agree.

Alison Crowley
adler

I was required to read this book for a Book Club. The book is full of interesting information that most of us know nothing about. I felt the plot was unrealistic at times though the characters were enjoyable. Many say it was an easy read. Because it is so full of facts that require your full attention to keep up with the plot, this book isn't great to read if you have small children and keep needing to put it down.
MitchMars

Waste of good paper
Hard to add more to the astute, John Lomax review. How anyone, who appreciates books, and is over twenty one could consider Angles and Demons more than trite, (language, characterization) clumsy, misinformed, melodrama, not worthy of the most banal science fiction is mind boggling. A waste of good paper!

• Book Jacket: The Age of Living Machines
    The Age of Living Machines
    by Susan Hockfield
    In the face of looming global challenges, such as overpopulation, resource depletion and disease, Dr...
    The Mars Room
    by Rachel Kushner
    There is palpable tension between expectation and reality in Rachel Kushner's third novel. The ...
  • Book Jacket: The Guest Book
    The Guest Book
    by Sarah Blake
    Sarah Blake's critically-acclaimed third novel The Guest Book was a hit with our First Impressions ...
  • Book Jacket: How It Feels to Float
    How It Feels to Float
    by Helena Fox
    Even though Biz's dad has been dead for ten years, he constantly visits her and tells stories about ...

Patsy
    by Nicole Dennis-Benn

A haunting depiction of immigration and womanhood, and the silent threads of love.

Book Club
Her Kind of Case
by Jeanne Winer

A highly-recommended emotion-filled legal drama with three starred reviews!

Win Conviction

Conviction by Denise Mina

The captivating, utterly unforgettable new thriller for fans of Killing Eve and The Woman in the Window

L A Let L