MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Resistance, plus links to write your own review.

by Owen Sheers

Feb 2008, 320 pages
    Feb 2009, 320 pages

Lucia Silva

There are currently 19 reader reviews for Resistance

Linda (02/26/08)

Resistance by Owen Sheers
As a "baby boomer" I have always been told about World War II and the heroism of the Allied troops. Naturally I believed everything I was told since it's a matter of history. This new book has made me think a little harder about what I have always believed. What if the Germans had won? The book is a refreshing change and plants a lot of new ideas in my head. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
Colleen (02/26/08)

Resistance
This was a well told story of unavoidable changes brought on by war. The author has an excellent ability to put the reader in the story with his descriptions of Wales. You come to care for the characters and hope that the situation will resolve itself for the best, but as in real life situations very rarely turn out for the best. Days later I'm still thinking about the story and how maybe things could have turned out different. I look forward to other novels by this author
Rebecca (02/26/08)

Resistance
Resistance was a beautifully written book which, while correctly called a historical novel, was also a novel of great suspense as enormous tension builds throughout the story. Set in a remote Welsh valley during WWII, Resistance is the story of five women left on their own by their husbands. A group of five German soldiers appear in the valley looking for a lost treasure and slowly build relationships with the five women who begin to see the men as men and sons and friends rather than as the enemy. Enjoy!

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun