Reader reviews and comments on Resistance, plus links to write your own review.

by Owen Sheers

Feb 2008, 320 pages
    Feb 2009, 320 pages

Lucia Silva

There are currently 19 reader reviews for Resistance

Catherine (02/26/08)

Great Book!
Resistance is one of the best books I have read in the past year. Its premise is, what if Germany had won World War II and occupied Great Britain. At first, I thought, interesting but I'm not really into books about war. I read the first few pages, a little slow, hoped I would be able to finish it. Next thing I knew, I was on page 75! Then I had a hard time putting it down. The story is told from many points of view, so you truly are left wondering, who is the bad guy and who is the good guy. Would definitely recommend it for book clubs, men, and women.
Power Reviewer Deanna (02/26/08)

Alternative Histories {not my thing}
I have read two novels in this genre {Philip Roth's The Plot Against America and Disturbance of Fate - about RFK. I find that knowing the actual history keeps me from enjoying the plot of Resistance, as it did with the other two novels. However, I did learn a great deal about Welsh culture and its beautiful landscapes.This novel is well worth reading as it deals with the ambiguity of war.
Joyce (02/26/08)

A thriller when you don't expect it
I loved this book, absolutely couldn't put it down. I'm a big fan of non-fiction history in fact just finished several books on World War II in both Pacific and European theaters, and didn't really expect to like this fictionalized version of events. But it is such a good book, great character development, a great story line and a surprise finish. You will be in great turmoil, not sure who to root for and your feelings and loyalty change from one chapter to the next. Do yourself a favor and read this book.
Jessica (02/26/08)

Resistance
This book is as close to perfect as any I have read in a very long time. Sheers takes a subject matter that has been reconstructed and analyzed unto infinity and imbues it with a startling and new life. In addition to the surrounding story of WWII, the stories that Sheers places within this context are fresh and psychologically raw. Plot, character and story are rendered lucid with prose that is as beautiful and precise as it is accessible. A wonderful read.
Melissa (02/26/08)

What if?
Resistance is the first book I've read that deals with an alternative to the history we have come to know. With my father-in-law having fought on the beaches of Normandy, and receiving a Purple Heart for his heroism, it was hard to imagine that the Allies failed in their mission. But once I got into the characters' stories I couldn't put the book down. I especially enjoyed hearing the story from several characters' voices. You begin to like these characters, even the ones you normally would categorize as the "bad guys". Without giving anything away, the story draws you in and is at times both heart-wrenching and heart-warming. I highly recommend this book for all book clubs and feel women and men co-ed book clubs would have wonderful conversations about the different points of view.
Selene (02/26/08)

Resistance
Although the premise of this novel is intriguing, an alternate reality of WWII after the landing at the beaches of Normandy, I was not impressed with the story. It takes place in a very small Welsh farming community where one morning, unbeknownst to their wives, the husbands have left suddenly to join the underground resistance. This leaves 6 women alone to tend their farms until a German patrol arrives in their valley. While the novel has some beautifully written passages, I felt the first half of the novel was very slow moving. I also never truly felt attached to these characters. Finally, as a WWII enthusiast, I would have like more reference as to how history was changed as we know it, by the success of the Germans.
Janet (02/26/08)

resistance
Stories of Nazi occupation in continental Europe are a staple of World War II literature. But what if...what if the allies had been defeated on D-Day? This book is an engrossing look at what that might look like. The author has the ability to bring the reader into the mind of German soldiers, British women struggling to deal with the unexpected disappearance of their husbands on the eve of the occupation...and even a resistance fighter. The book is a good read for those who enjoy a first class story that makes you think about the individual's struggle with right and wrong, and the consequences of those decisions.
Debi (02/26/08)

Resistance
I didn't know what to expect when I first picked up this book. From the very start it drew me into the lives of the women who were forced to maintain the every day routines of their farms because of the unexplained disappearance of their husbands and sons. All around them war was raging. At first the appearance of the German patrol was an unwelcome intrusion into their lives. I liked the way both the women and the soldiers came to depend on each other. I liked this book and believe it would be an excellent additional to any book club.

• Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    The Guineveres
    by Sarah Domet

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P