Reader reviews and comments on Angela's Ashes, plus links to write your own review.

Angela's Ashes

A Memoir

by Frank McCourt

Angela's Ashes

Sep 1996, 360 pages
    May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 88 reader reviews for Angela's Ashes

Amy
I found Angela's Ashes to be one of the best books that I have read. Although I found it hard to get into, by the end of the first chapter I was right. The way that Frank McCourt describes parts of his childhood with no hate or nastyness amazes me. I would not recommend that you watch the film first because without actually reading the words that he writes you can not fully understand the book and the excellent descriptions of events. Although the film is still a good one, it is a disappointment in comparison to the book itself. How a person continues to remain positive and and come out of all he endured a better person amazes me. I was thought a bit curious about how Frank McCourt managed to write in such detail events that happened when he was so young, so i wonder is it all exactly correct. No matter what is said about this book it is a wonderful read and an absolutely inspirational story of a childhood.

Julia
What a terrifyingly beautiful book. At one moment it's breaking your heart, and the next it's bringing deep laughs. How young Frank managed to evolve into such a graceful and lovely man is a miracle...or a novel by the title 'Tis. We Irish have a great capacity for outliving our misery!

Meg
I thought that Angela's Ashes was an amazing autobiography that i completely related to. Not related so much to the poverty, more of the distress and endless sad memories of my own childhood. Being from Long Island or even America, there was a ton of racism against me being Irish and all. I even saw the movie which kept me laughing and crying the entire time!:)

Candice
Angela's Ashes is a novel unlike any others I have read. Not only does it keep you wanting more, but brings out your every emotion. Frank McCourt is a truly wonderful author that makes you feel as though you are sharing his experiences right along with him.

Vix
I found it amazing how he remembers such small details of his childhood!!! It is amazing in my opinion.

Nancy
This book really got me thinking. McCourt really made me realize that we cannot live by our greed for materials. The whole time I felt that I was there with Frank, struggling. I laughed, I cried, I did the whole bit. Great Book!!!

Mike S
God, this book is perverted. I don't need to know about looking at naked sister and masturbation, you sick dog. What the hell do I need to know that? and what **** if this Christian kid who's a homo doing in it? Really Frank, this book does not need to be part of our lives to pleasure yourself. Sincerely, Mike

Brian Harrington
As I picked up this book, I was suddenly captivated by it's vivid descriptions. Frank McCourt sets up each scene in detail so that, by the middle of the book, you can actually feel the spirit of Ireland moving over you. McCourt's descriptions show the fear of destitution and poverty and then encourage happiness and confidence as we watch the resiliency of the human spirit.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review