Reader reviews and comments on Angela's Ashes, plus links to write your own review.

Angela's Ashes

Sep 1996, 360 pages
    May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 86 reader reviews for Angela's Ashes

Big boy sean (03/25/02)

I would like to emphase edwardos comments and also think it is stimulating
Lachlan Edwardos (03/25/02)

I beleive the book is very good. THis book would be useful as stimulus material. I loved the book and could not put it down.
Freddy Wonganoff (03/25/02)

I really actually loved the book. I found the book to be inspiring and insightful - and it should definately be a study text - just not in yr 11 - possibly year 12.
Kimi (03/20/02)

I thought that this book was truly moving and it shows that ther's always someone worse off than you. I also thought that it's unbelievable how much has happened to him and i don't think that i could cope, so Frank must have tried to make the best of his life even though it was bitterly depressing.
Amy (03/17/02)

Depressing at times, but fascinating how his spirit is kept alive throughout the book.
Jess Goode (03/11/02)

Angela's Ashes is full of humour and misery, but most amazingly, is full of forgiveness. An awe enspiring autobiography which sends out the message that we should never give up hope!
Anonymous (07/15/01)

Amy
I found Angela's Ashes to be one of the best books that I have read. Although I found it hard to get into, by the end of the first chapter I was right. The way that Frank McCourt describes parts of his childhood with no hate or nastyness amazes me. I would not recommend that you watch the film first because without actually reading the words that he writes you can not fully understand the book and the excellent descriptions of events. Although the film is still a good one, it is a disappointment in comparison to the book itself. How a person continues to remain positive and and come out of all he endured a better person amazes me. I was thought a bit curious about how Frank McCourt managed to write in such detail events that happened when he was so young, so i wonder is it all exactly correct. No matter what is said about this book it is a wonderful read and an absolutely inspirational story of a childhood.
Anonymous (07/15/01)

Julia
What a terrifyingly beautiful book. At one moment it's breaking your heart, and the next it's bringing deep laughs. How young Frank managed to evolve into such a graceful and lovely man is a miracle...or a novel by the title 'Tis. We Irish have a great capacity for outliving our misery!

• Book Jacket: The Magnificent Esme Wells
    The Magnificent Esme Wells
    by Adrienne Sharp
    Esme Wells was not made to sit back and wait for her destiny. She was made to be magnificent. With ...
  • Book Jacket: Gateway to the Moon
    Gateway to the Moon
    by Mary Morris
    Miguel Torres is a teenager living in Entrada de la Luna, a poverty-stricken dot on the New Mexico ...
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

I Wouldn't T H W A T-F P