Reader reviews and comments on Life As We Knew It, plus links to write your own review.

Life As We Knew It

May 2008, 360 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Life As We Knew It

Ishtar

Gripping, scary
The story is so well told, so scary, that I welcomed the lighter moments when the author takes little humorous potshots at the present administration.
Melissa

great Book
This is a great book for teenage middle schoolers. It is very suspenseful and keeps you on your feet!
Mommadoo2018

major inaccuracy
As I read the book Life As We Knew It, I kept wondering how Miranda and her family managed to have water. Then it was stated that they were on a well. I live in the country and have well water, and I can tell you EMPHATICALLY that if there is no electricity, there is no well water. And electric pump in the well pumps the water from the well to the house, so if the electricity is off and you do not have a generator for back-up power, there is no water. I cannot believe this glaring error, that impacts the viability of the story, was not caught by the editors.
Emily

Confusing
I found this book very confusing but it was okay...
Megan

Good but not as good
I just read the book and by my understanding everyone seems to like this book. I thought it was ok. I thought that it was sad and that they talked about the sad things too often. So I thought it wasn't the best book ever.
Amy H.

So-So in Science Fiction
I was intrigued with the idea of the moon being thrown off of its orbit by a meteor, but disappointed in what the author chose to highlight regarding humanity. Secondary characters were written in such extreme stereotypes, they were simply annoying, and not believable. The author's political and religious views were so obviously affecting the writing, it was hard to suspend disbelief. I frequently felt as though the author would strike out against the government or organized religion with every page that I turned. I had hoped to use this novel as a required summer reading for my secondary school students, but spent too much of my time with my nose turned up at the writer's personal views, made so obvious in the text.
Corby Ahner

Author's opinion?
I think the premise behind Life as We Knew It is refreshingly different and creative and I was anxious to read the story. I was, however, disappointed that the author has used a work of fiction written for young adults to voice negative opinions, through one of her characters, regarding the President of the United States and a very real news broadcasting station. I believe political opinions, especially made in a derogatory fashion directed toward very real entities, are best left out of young adult literature.
Katniss Everdeen

Terrible Book
I found that this book had no real climax and the thoughts were very scattered, it was hard to relate to the main character and it was very boring. If you want to read a good piece of literature, read The Hunger Games series, this book is not worth your time.

• Book Jacket: Fake Like Me
    Fake Like Me
    by Barbara Bourland
    After years of trying to make it as a painter in New York City, the unnamed narrator of Fake Like Me...
  • Book Jacket: Hungry
    Hungry
    by Jeff Gordinier
    Noma, René Redzepi's restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark, has widely been considered among the ...
  • Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly