Reader reviews and comments on Into Thin Air, plus links to write your own review.

Into Thin Air

May 1998, 378 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for Into Thin Air

Potlicker (03/16/07)

Into thin Air
Where to start? What an amazing book! This is the second book I have had the pleasure of reading by Mr. Krakauer. I am at a lose to put into words for what an awesome writer I feel Krakuer is. He does a splendid job of putting the reader on Mount Everest right along with him. To feel his triumph, or lack thereof. In my eye he is no mortal man, "he is god like". He knows just how most men feel about themselves, and he is able to express it where others cannot. My wife went on and on about how stupid she thought the whole expedition was. But I understood, and where I did not Jon Krakuer was able to make me understand.I would like to thank him for the ride and can't wait till the next. I would say God bless you Jon Krakuer but I think he already has.
Power Reviewer Melissa (03/05/07)

29,028 feet above sea level!!
What a harrowing event!! This eye witness account of one of the worst evens on Mt. Everest was compelling to say the least! I'll never understand the desire mountain climbers have to put themselves in the multitude of near death experiences to accomplish this recreational challenge; but I was captivated by their story, triumphed for their successes and was heartbroken for their losses.
hated (04/11/06)

HATED!
we read that book in non-fiction class and i had the most horrific times while reading it. i and my friends were sooooooooo bored that one day when i looked to the class, everyone was sleepy and even somebody was actually sleeping. there are too many statistics and names in the book and until you get to chapter 11, nothing actually happens. there are just little boring anecdotes. between 11-17 the book seems to be "enjoyable!!" for somebody, however it s only getting more complicated. i do not ever never recommend you to read this book. especially if you aren't a native speaker, dont. because there are too many complicated words and the author had a very different style. sometimes he tells about after the summit or during the descent, a chapter after he talks about climbing. the book is hard to understand but the main reason why i dont recommend it, is that the book makes you sleep and there s no need to read it. the only thing it was good about is that you see the dangers of climbing mt.everest, which i guess, you already know.
Kathy (12/25/05)

Into Thin Air
Best book I've read in years. Just couldn't put it down. Made me wonder why people would do this, and some did it more than once, climbing to top.
Stu W (01/10/05)

Unlike other mountianeering writers, Krakauer shows a wonderful ability to see so much more than simply rock and ice. His affinity with the sherpas, how he describes the moods and atitudes of other climbers is exceptional and what makes this account of Everest stand out as a cracker-jack yarn.
TJFord (12/20/04)

This is the best non-fiction book I've ever read.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!
Brian Hwang (12/15/04)

i think that this book, Into Thin Air, is that best book i ever read
Joel Silver (12/14/04)

Into Thin Air has to be the best wilderness/survival story i have ever read. i have always had a passion for the outdoors and John Krakauer really captured it into this book. i dream of the day i may experience being on the roof of the world. this book is truly a masterpiece and i may only be 15 but i felt as if i was experiencing climbing everest. this is a great book

Discover your next great read here

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins

Y S M B, I'll S Y