MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Into Thin Air, plus links to write your own review.

Into Thin Air

May 1998, 378 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for Into Thin Air

Brandon (10/19/11)

Horrible
This book is the worst book I have ever read in my whole entire life. It is so boring I couldn't focus, I read the same sentence about five times and still not understand what the author was trying to say. I didn't even finish the book because i was so bored.
john (03/27/10)

long....
Some parts of the book are good but the rest are like super boring. No offense to the writer, but is there any possible way to make the book more interesting to read?!
jeyaraman (10/22/09)

a must read
The way he introduces the members who were with him, the way he explains about high altitude mountaineering ... He takes you to the chilling top of me Everest. then when you lose the members one after another... you just cant control your emotions.

Highly gripping tragic tale.
Christine (04/28/09)

Amazing
This was by far the best book I have ever read. I could truly say its the first one I have read all the way through. I really enjoy all the information you give throughout the book. I will always remember this book and definitely recommend it to others.
A reader (02/19/08)

read Into thin Air three times, saw the movie once
I enjoyed this book because it was a true story, I enjoy nonfiction more than fiction. Jon writes as if I was right there on the mountain. He is an amazing writer with such an extensive vocabulary. His descriptions of his experience kept me spell bound. The reason I read the book in the first place is to help understand my new son-n-law better. He is a mountain guide and has been in many places in and outside the USA. By reading this book I felt I got inside his mind and understood his passion for climbing and all the danger around it. I am grateful for that. Jon seems that he did his very best in describing his experience on Mt. Everest. He was gracious, humble and knowledgeable. He is a fantastic author. He should not take anything personally, he did his best from all accounts and I am sorry that he feels such guilt. What a terrible thing to go through for all of them.
Keep writing, Jon. You are amazing!!!!

A Reader
mel (02/18/08)

unbelieveable
If you haven't read this book you cant even start to imagine how boring it is. Don't waste your time or torture yourself by reading this book. Just don't do it please.
Buhnay (08/17/07)

Phenominal.
I have done two school reports on this book. Jon Krakauer's writing style makes the reader feel as though he climbs the mountain along with the expedition, and the reader learns of Everest's horrific history. Though we all know Krakauer makes it down, I found suspense pulling me to the edge of my seat every step of the way.

I highly recommend this book to everyone- fiction and non-fiction fans alike.

My whole family has read the book more than once, as well.

Beautifully written, disturbingly descriptive, and suspenseful to the last page- Into Thin Air was fantastic.
MtnMan (07/08/07)

Out of Thin Air
I rated this book as average becasue it is an interesting read despite the underlying facts that have been skewed. Krakauer likes to portray himself in the best light while villainizing others that have been honored for their contributions during that tragic event in 96'. Krakauer who is quick to pass judgment on the decisions of others throughout this ordeal, places blame unjustly upon people that certainly didn't deserve it. He villainizes Anatoli Boukreev for his role, and is critical of his actions. While Krakauer was asleep in his tent, Anatoli was risking his life to rescue three other stranded climbers, who thanks to his efforts are alive today. Boukreev was acting out a pre-established plan to descend ahead of his clients in preparation for their descent, and because of this he was able to save lives. Anatoli's expertise in the mountains was far greater than that of Jon Krakauer, as he was regarded as the "Tiger Woods of the Himalaya." Krakauer bashes Boukreev during the years following the tragedy in his unrelenting quest to make Boukreev look like the bad guy, while making himself into the hero. I highly recommend reading into this situation, and you will soon discover that Krakauer's journalistic integrity is questionable at best!

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun