Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

The Book Thief

Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 73 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Gunta (09/04/08)

A Treat !
Fabulous. Insightful. Heartbreaking. Full of hope for the future of that era. A testimonial for the indestructible human spirit. Quite truthful historically as well as in terms of human suffering during that war. I know this because I was there.

This well written, well researched book would be enjoyed by all ages.
book lover (08/08/08)

I recommended this book to everyone!!
I completely loved this book. I saw it a few times in the book store but never picked it up until my teacher assigned it for summer reading. I finished it in a matter of a few hours and crying uncontrollably at the end. I recommended it to all my classmates and all my other friends and everyone who has taken me up on it hasn't been disappointed and some have even thanked me for recommending it to them. I think my teacher is going to be in for a big surprise when she reads this summer's reading essays because even the guys in my class loved it!!
Ashton (07/17/08)

Term Paper
I recently just graduated from High School and chose to use The Book Thief for my 12th grade term paper. What an amazing book! My English teacher recommended it to me and teared up while telling me what it was about. I strongly recommend this book to anyone, no matter what age. Absolutely the best book I have read in a long time!
Cathy (07/11/08)

People Keep Thanking Me
The Book Thief is the best book I read in 2007 and so far the best book I've read (reread) in 2008. My book club chose this book based on my recommendation and I am now a hero. They have all emailed and said thank you. "Now that I'm done I'm lost, I don't know what I will do." "Thank you so much. I never would have picked this book on my own." and "Thank you, thank you, thank you." are just a few messages I've received. A super book!
ace (05/28/08)

The Book Thief
This book is by far one of the best books i have ever read. This book will make you laugh and it will make you cry!It makes you think about all the things you do and don't do. You think of all those times you've seen someone that needed help and you walked right past them. Reading this book makes you want to go back and help. It is an amazing story of a little girl turned into a young woman. It tells you of her struggles. You practically feel like you are in the book. You want to just reach out and help. I started reading this amazing book and i couldn't put it down! You must read this book!
Nancy (05/07/08)

Sad, Sad, Wonderful Book
It’s hard to believe this book was written for young adults. Everyone should read it.
It’s not just the plot that will draw you into this book. It’s the way it’s written that will hold you just as enthralled. Narrated by Death, colors are used to describe the surroundings as souls are taken up. Within the beautiful words is an ugly world of Nazi Germany during World War 2.

The main character, Leisel, goes through more tragedy in her young life (not short life, for she lives longer than almost every other character in the book) than we can imagine. The theme of the book, while touching on the fate of German Jews, is centered around poor non-Jewish Germans of that awful time. Leisel’s most precious possessions are books she first finds, then begins stealing. She uses them to comfort her neighbors while they are hiding in a basement during the air raids.
Random Writer (03/26/08)

Surprising Point-of-View
This book was captivating and extremely well-written. I loved all of it and I am a very picky reader. I usually have a hard time finding books that I really enjoy but this was a very nice choice. Even the point of view of the book is interesting. I love the small comments inserted here and there to help you understand the setting and the characters. My two favorite characters in this book are "Death" and Hans Hubermann. They are both witty yet slightly mysterious characters which sometimes seem to take the most thought to write about. Some parts of the book that I really enjoyed were the very beginning and the end and even other aspects of 'The Book Thief' that don't have a name to me. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a quality book to read. It was the best of the best.
Avid Redwaller (02/22/08)

Why anyone and everyone should read it
I needed a break for the obvious endings of fairy-tales, and unsatisfying closes in other books, and then a subtle xmas present turns into a HUGE find

This book is so unexpected, and written in an ambitious form I've never seen. This book is so so so...refreshing. the grim humor, just-so details, and totally completely perfectly imperfect characters, its just plain wonderful

• Book Jacket: The Overstory
    by Patricia Hampl

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    by Clemantine Wamariya & Elizabeth Weil

A riveting story of survival, and the power of stories to save us.

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes