MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 75 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Paige (01/08/09)

Surprising Tale Of The Hardships of Liesal Meminger
At first glance, I wasn't sure I would enjoy this book. At only thirteen, I felt it might be slightly too strong and advanced for me. Needless to say, I loved this book with all of my heart. I eagerly flipped through the pages, hungry for more. I found myself crying for a full thirty minutes in the end, since Liesal is my age in the book, I could very closely relate. Her blossoming relationship with Rudy, Hans Hubermann's version of the war, And Max's hardships piece extremely well together in this book. It has got to be, hands down, the most compelling, emotional, and inspiring book I have ever read.
Kelli Hilty (01/07/09)

WHere's The MoVie!! ((:
This book did not grab my attention in the beginning. I read it for a school project, as I am in eighth grade. I got to about the fourth section. Other readers, I'm letting you know, it gets good. When she starts taking the books, you realize how she is feeling and living through this time of the world. It's a cold tragedy with many characters. I'd like to see a movie from this.
Josie Chance (12/07/08)

The Book Thief
This book is a very good book for learning about the times of Hitler and his reign over Germany. It gives good facts and it keeps you entertained. The narrator of this book is Death but it makes it that much more interesting because it changes our perception of death It is so well written that it makes you become the characters and you feel what they feel. This book will make you laugh and cry. I recommend it for everyone
Erin (12/03/08)

The Book Thief
The Book Thief is an awesome book. I love how death is the narrator and makes you see things in a different perspective. Even though he likes to ruin endings, he keeps you on your toes until the very end. It is a story of a young girl that lives in Molching, Germany during the holocaust and War World II. She has a special love for books and reading, which gets her through the roughest and toughest parts of her life. The Book Thief can your imagination to places it has never been. I would definitely suggest this book for someone to read.
Katy Ann (12/02/08)

Bittersweet
The Book Thief was a tremendously compelling story. Zusak has the ability to put these words on paper and create something that reaches inside of you and pulls out your inner most emotions. It shows the struggle to stand up for your beliefs and morals when in a society where they aren’t. It also proves you can have a loyal friend even in the roughest of times. I found it quite compelling how he uses “Mein Kampf” a hateful book and allows it to save someone and create a bond between Liesel and Max. Using Death to narrate the book sets it apart from any other book about the Nazi Reign. Zusak manages to create characters everybody seems to see a small piece of themselves in the wonderful novel.
Alice (11/28/08)

Fascinating
I found this book fascinating. I loved the characters they each had their own unique personality. This book will make you laugh, cry, and then cry some more. I enjoyed reading this book from beginning to end.
montse (10/12/08)

captivating and astoundingly well written
This book speaks to the young and old alike.
It reminds us that the most important things in life are friendship and love. Despite all the hardships that Liesel faces throughout her life she manages to keep her head up to learn. Her heartbreaking story captures our hearts and this book really speaks to all. sets the theme across and inspires us all!
gale messerman (10/01/08)

A book I wish I had written
What can I say? I loved the book! It is touching, sad, happy, hopeful,hopeless, magical, mysterious, life affirming, clever, symplistic,complicated- in other words, I wish I had written it.

I agree with Zusak(death), I too "am haunted by humans''.

• Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
    The Lost Child
    by Caryl Phillips
    The Lost Child is a modern novel constructed within a historical frame, invoking one of the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q