MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 75 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Linda (08/29/09)

The Book Thief
Although a good story, very long and boring to get to the point. Too long, situations repetitive. Boring, boring, boring.
Judy Halperin (06/11/09)

The Book Thief
If I could I would give this book much more than the "Very Good" option offered. I haven't yet got to the end, but I have to to say that it is definitely one of the best books that I have read in my lifetime.
Bob (05/23/09)

Great book
The book, The Book Thief is a great and heartbreaking book. Markus Zusak is a wonderful and passionate writer. I'd rate his on my top 5 favorite authors.
Johnny (05/18/09)

Book Thief Review
I love how Zusak puts little small bits of information in the middle of his writing so you could understand the story more. It is also one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life.
Sara Placuszok (05/10/09)

AMAZING!
This book way simply amazing! It had really good imagery, and a really good story line! And it also had a lot of heart! I thought that this book should receive all of the medals that it deserves! This book was AMAZING!
sharon (05/08/09)

A wonderful read for all ages
Don't let the "young adult" tag fool you, this is a fabulous read for everyone. Refreshing and dare I say entertaining for such serious subject matter. Anyone who loves books will love Liesel. History, humanity, morality, tragedy...this is a book I treasure.
Emily Bridges, Taylor Sims, Amber Hardesty, and Cody Grantham (04/27/09)

Book Thief Review
From the perspective of Death, The Book Thief, is a book not only with suspense, but also a story full of intensity and emotion. It is the story of a little girl named Liesel Meminger who is adopted into a German home during World War II. Her mother had been taken away by the Nazis in January 1939. The different events of Liesel's life tell an unforgettable story of love, death, and war. We recommend this book because it will keep you on your toes and wanting more. As you read you will discover exactly what life was like for the families during World War II. As soon as you start reading you will not want to put the book down.
Leighton (03/24/09)

The Book Thief
“The Book Thief” is one of the more interesting Holocaust books that you’ll have the pleasure of reading. It tells the story of a young girl, Liesel, who is left in a foster home in Nazi Germany, Rudy, a young, rebellions Aryan child, and Max, a Jewish refugee. Together the three become fast friends in a dangerous world of madness and hate.

The first hundred pages are rather confusing. Narrated by the deity Death, there’s a bit of a learning curve. Death is a perplexing character with a strange sense of humor and a grim, sarcastic view on the world. The plot is frequently interrupted for brief ‘announcements’ by the narrating angel, making for an unorthodox formatting. Because of this, some readers may feel slightly out of their comfort zone. But as the pages press on, the reader is drawn into the story, and by page one hundred you can’t put the book down.

I don’t want to ruin the deeper elements of the story, because some of them are truly explosive. But I can say without a second thought that its plot is a true pleasure to experience. With twists and turns, allusion and advances, flashbacks and fast-forwarding, the plot has more drama than TBS. The personage of Death adds a second perspective to the story as well, and his own story is just as interesting as well. Overall, I consider this to be an excellent book, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction or drama.

• Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    The Lost Child
    by Caryl Phillips
    The Lost Child is a modern novel constructed within a historical frame, invoking one of the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win The Charmers

The Charmers by Elizabeth Adler

"This tale of romantic suspense makes the perfect beach read."
—Library Journal