MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 75 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Sheila St. John (03/20/07)

The author's youth betrays him
The Book Thief was written by a children's author but is considered a teen or adult novel. The writing style and literary devices are better suited for children, although this story is not. Because its plot has a backdrop of Nazi Germany and abandoned children, the emotion of the book is pretty much spoon-fed to the reader. There is no subtly here and his use of metaphor is so prevalent it becomes almost meaningless. The writer tries to make every turn seem poignant and dripping with power, therefore no moment seems especially strong.

I read all 500 pages, however, because it was such an easy and transparent read.
anonymous (12/23/06)

awsome
I agree with noelle, this is a great book. It also made me cry the many times I read it. It is filled with friendship, loyalty, hardship, crushes, prejudice, humor and some swearing in German. Over all this is a book that is a great page turner. I would stay up with a flashlight just to read a few more chapters.
Noelle (08/26/06)

So Perfect
I saw this book at the library. I am 15, so I was looking in the young adult section by the new books shelf. I saw this book and liked the cover so I took it home to read. On the way home, I read the inside cover. It seemed enjoyable so i began to read. After the first couple of pages I was confused with how the story was going. It is narrated by Death, and after a while you begin to feel for Death. The story went along nicely, I loved the characters of Rudy and Rosa. Then you meet Max, and the story begins to grow darker. From then on, it is no longer a story of a girl who steals books, during WWII, it is a story of prejuduce, survival, cruelty, friendship, loyalty, secrets, accordians, and a girl who steals books during WWII. [review edited to remove plot spoiler] If you are not afraid of crying in front of people, read this with your friends and loved ones. This was so perfect. I will read The Book Thief again and again. And you can bet, after 15 times, I will still cry.

• Book Jacket: Girl in the Blue Coat
    Girl in the Blue Coat
    by Monica Hesse
    Set in Amsterdam in January 1943, Monica Hesse's young adult novel, Girl in the Blue Coat, ...
  • Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T