What readers think of Tuesdays With Morrie, plus links to write your own review.

Tuesdays With Morrie

Oct 2002, 208 pages

There are currently 147 reader reviews for Tuesdays With Morrie

Alyssa Hedding

Life's Greatest Lesson
Mitch Albom, in his novel “Tuesdays with Morrie,” explores one man’s answers to many of the questions commonly asked throughout the journey of life.

Morrie Schwartz, Albom’s college professor, made a larger impact on Albom’s life than he ever knew – until Albom showed up in his drive-way one day towards the end of Schwartz’s life. “The last class of my old professor’s life had only one student,” Albom writes. “I was the student.”

When Albom discovered that his favorite college professor and long-time friend possessed a terminal illness, he began meeting with him on Tuesdays in his home, where Schwartz spoke with him and shared some of the vital life-lessons he learned throughout his remarkable, but fleeting journey. Mitch Albom promised Schwartz that he would record his last words in order to preserve the memory of this extraordinary man. This book is the fulfillment of that promise.

Albom ardently captures the bitter and the sweet in this recollection of a dying man’s most poignant joys and greatest regrets. While reading this book, the reader is inevitably thrown into a serious reevaluation of his or her priorities, because it emphasizes the fact that life truly is fleeting; at any moment it could be gone.

This book gave me a new perspective on a number of things, such as old age. For example, when Albom asked his professor if he was ever afraid to grow old, Schwartz answered that he had never been afraid of it; rather, he embraced aging. Speaking of unhappy people who constantly wish they were young again, Schwartz remarked, “You know what that reflects? Unsatisfied lives. Unfulfilled lives. Lives that haven’t found meaning. Because if you’ve found meaning in your life, you don’t want to go back. You want to go forward.” He explained that although he enjoyed being as young as Albom, he did not envy him. “How can I be envious of where you are – when I’ve been there myself?”

One part of the book that really impacted me was Schwartz telling Albom his most crucial life lesson. “The most important thing in life,” he whispered, “is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in…A wise man named Levine said it right. He said, ‘Love is the only rational act.’”

With moving quotes from the last days of Morrie Schwartz’s life and enlightening speculation from Mitch Albom, this book is a second chance for all of us to start truly appreciating each day before it ends. I would recommend “Tuesdays with Morrie” to anyone and everyone, because it redefines life in a way we all need to hear. This book has made me realize that life is not a race to finish as fast as we are able. Instead, it is a journey in which we are meant to experience joy, hard work, success, failure, pain, passion, relationships, heartache, true love, and someday – death. Simply stated, “Tuesdays with Morrie” is a story of, as its front cover displays, an old man, a young man, and life’s greatest lesson.
Ian

Grand father
The book reminded me of my grandfather. I thought it was a good book.
Pravin On Mitch Albom

Lesson for living life
I liked the way Mitch tell us we all already knew yet have ignored for all of our lives.
ms M.

the aftershock...
I have been into this book for a very long time until I finally got the chance to buy myself my own copy of Tuesdays with Morrie (it took a year though, as I tried to haggle on its price). Superbly written, I had read the unexpected things I could ever imagine myself reading. Those were thoughts you wont get tired pondering as those spoke reality. I savored each heart-wrenching line. Each chapter had translated into moments of reflection (Am i too bad or what?). I anticipated each statement with vigor although truth be told, I'm a lazy reader. It took me 4 long months to finish reading that book! (procrastination indeed).

Each soulful day on Morrie's life gave the reader the chance to sit back and think of life's purpose. Our lives may be driven by mundane insignificants but if we were to look beyond we surely can see this life's significance. True, life isn't just about finding your happiness through earthly possessions but its about reliving the values in your life. I often find guilty of this. I overlook small details and hardly notice the important aspects of my life. I get overwhelmed with instantaneity which had gotten into my cycle. But after much contemplation, I came to see the goodness of reality at its downside. Life indeed isn't about finding comfort amidst the suffering but finding suffering amidst comfort. These sufferings will take you to your final destination after a long journey here on earth...
Jacob Anderson C. Sanchez

Critic
i enjoyed reading the book and it is very interesting! i recommend it to my classmates at Pampanga Agri. College Philippines.
chris

I wish we could have this attitude towards dying.
Arlena B.

I think this book is a very good navigational tool through life. It provides food for thought on everlasting issues that are so lightly overlooked in our chaotic world and provides suggestions that make us take time to research ourselves and how we are living.
kany

i liked it but it seems a little to imaginary i don't know if you know what i mean,other than that i learned a lot from it ,pretty good book,you 've got to read it ,thx!

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

River Sing Me Home
    by Eleanor Shearer

A remarkable debut about a mother's gripping journey across the Caribbean to find her stolen children in the aftermath of slavery.

Exiles
    by Jane Harper

A captivating new mystery from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Jane Harper.

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

It's A G T Me

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you