Reader reviews and comments on Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, plus links to write your own review.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

by Dai Sijie

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Sep 2001, 208 pages
    Oct 2002, 208 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

wierdo cheerleader01 (09/01/09)

awesome!!!!!!!!
Wow... best book ever written lol:) This is a really good book...all I have to say is give it a try...don't judge a book by its cover!!!
-peace
yumyum (02/11/07)

i love it!
This book rocks! I'm going to have to read it again, just to get the feel of it, but I really enjoyed reading it! I had to read it for a book report, but it was so worth it. There were some parts that kind of confused me though, so I'll definitely have to read it again. I was just too distracted the first time...
Katalina (08/28/06)

School Assigned
Knowing that we were to be studying China right away, I was not at all surprised when this book was assigned to us. I was however surprised when I reached parts of great sexual detail. As an incoming freshman, I didn't think the book was very appropriate. I was nervous as to what parts of the book we would be discussing during class. I did however find the plot about books very interesting. It reminded me of what the ambassador or Hungary just had to say about the banning of Western music. Literature and music are just not something you can avoid. Although I found this book helpfull and somewhat interesting, it just wasn't an easy read. Not that it was hard, but it was rather boring. I could only read about two chapters a day before wanting to shoot myself.
Akumu (08/07/06)

Amazing
That was probably the best book I've read in a while.

I love it and highly recommend it.

I found out about this book from my summer book report, along with having to read another book, Peace Like a River.

"Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" is awesome.
Antoinette-Marie (03/28/06)

Words and Books
A small jewel, this book, I read it in French and enjoyed the language. The story made me realize how a revolution against intellectuals affected their every day life, how owning or reading "books" could endangered their daily life, how also a book could tranform a life (the seamstress) and how a"book" becomes your daily bread, your breathing space.
Sywe (09/19/05)

unbelievebull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i am out of words....................just beautiful.i read it many many times.
JP (01/18/05)

This is a great book for all who love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or any other Chinese tragedies. The ending tears at your soul. Definitely one of the most gripping books I've ever read.
bob (01/15/05)

a well written book, but i think that it could have been much better... quite boring

• Book Jacket: Barkskins
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All