MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, plus links to write your own review.

by Dai Sijie

Sep 2001, 208 pages
    Oct 2002, 208 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Michelle (01/14/05)

it's really a boring book with no real plot, no real feeling behind the story. i cant really consider it a novel, its more of a lame excuse of a historical book
NIna (01/09/05)

THIS IS THE THE BEST BOOK EVER! I SUGGEST IT TO EVERYONE TO READ!
BB (01/06/05)

I really enjoyed this book out of all the books I have read but I don't like the way how it ended.
TakeMeOrLeaveMe (12/11/04)

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

I am currently in the middle of reading this book and I fell in love with from the very first page. There is something in the way that Dai Seiji writes that trapped me. His words are beautiful and expressive, to me, in way that they convey exactly what he wanted. I also love the way that he describes everything with such deatial and care. I can picture it excatly in my mind.

This book tells the story of the Chinese cultural revoloution of the 1960's. There is so much historaly fascinating information in this book your head almosrt get overwhelmed, but them Dai brings you back to the wonderful plot of two young boys struggling with, love, jealousy, repression, and their current ploy, re-education.

It is hard for me to put the book down and i suggest this magnificent piece of work to anyone interested in a thrilling tale of history at it's finest.
Devin (12/09/04)

Save yourself the time, don't pick up this book. It is a ridiculous tale of two uninteresting young mens' lives and a superficial reflection of the harsh Cultural Revolution.
amy (12/04/04)

Hi, I'm 15, and I love this book! I agree with the other reviews that this story stunningly brings light and life to the dark harsh times of China. There's just one thing that upset me about this novel, and it was that i didnt understand the last passage, what did that mean??? I kind of have the main idea, but I am not quite sure. All and all, can't wait till the movie comes out. =)
Audrius Siupienius (11/08/04)

This book is really good because it reveals one of the darkest Chinese history page in true feelings which were experienced by the author of this book.
Rooti Lewis (09/29/04)

I thought the story was really interesting and entertaining. I wish the story would have concentrated more on the Cultural atmosphere at the time than on the sexual relationship between Luo and the Seamstress. Maybe the book could have been expanded to add more of the Cultural aspects of China during the Cultural Revolution.

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun