Reader reviews and comments on Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, plus links to write your own review.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

by Dai Sijie

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

Sep 2001, 208 pages
    Oct 2002, 208 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

sdeyerle (09/11/04)

Unlike the previous reviewer, I found this to be a deep, intelligent read that should become richer with subsequent readings. Often tongue-in-cheek, yet still moving in places. Well written, well translated. This is not, however, intended for young teens, as it is likely to deep for them to truly comprehend. (There are sexual themes, though handled well.) The "romance" plot is directly intertwined with the "western books" plot, as it is important in seeing how western thought is influening the lives of these 3 young people.
Sorry the first reviewer didn't really get the book, as it was fascinating.
Thomas Given (08/27/04)

I read this book to see if it was appropriate for 14 year olds. I thought that it had too much sexual content for a young reader and that the romantic plot was given much more importance than the western books plot. In fact, they burn the books at the end of the novel. Over all a pleasant but not very deep book.
Pinky (06/02/04)

story is so very vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv interesting i like this book
Liz (06/02/04)

The story told was very interesting, but the way in which it was conveyed let it down. There was so much leading up to the climax, then such a hasty anti-climax.
17years
Amma (05/24/04)

Slightly confusing. The narrator never mentions his own name, thus making school projects a nightmare. Otherwise entriguing plot. It didn't pick up until half way through the book.
jk (03/12/04)

the book was great. it gave a wonderful look into a different world as well as making you relate with the characters. you really felt like you were experiencing thier world.
Stacy (02/23/04)

This book was very interesting and enjoyable. It was easy reading... done in three days. It kept you reading and on your toes. Some issues in the book were a bit disturbing and not enjoyable to read. Overall I enjoyed the theme that literature is everywhere even if you have to use your imagination to re tell a story.
Anonymous (01/12/04)

A powerful look at another world. A captivating story.

• Book Jacket: The Radium Girls
    by Jennifer Finney Boylan
  • Book Jacket: Proving Ground
    Proving Ground
    by Peter Blauner
    More than a decade after winning the 1992 Best First Novel Edgar for Slow Motion Riot, Peter Blauner...

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers