Reader reviews and comments on The Yellow Birds, plus links to write your own review.

The Yellow Birds

Kim Kovacs

There is 1 reader review for The Yellow Birds

Dorothy L

Amazing Book that is a Must Read for Everyone
Let me begin by saying that I rarely read books about war. I first heard of Yellow Birds when I read a glowing review in the NY Times.
I have always felt that the war in Iraq is unlike the Vietnam War when there was a draft and bodies being brought back became part of the 6 o'clock news. The Iraq war affects fewer families and there are restrictions on what can be show on TV now.
I was captured by the opening line, "The war tried to kill us in the spring" and the lyrical language throughout the book. There is a mystery of guilt which pervades the book and until the end we don't know why the narrator is so devastated. The descriptions of the terrain are both beautiful and ironic since war is so ugly. The shifting between home and Iraq are well done and keep us interested from beginning to end. All the characters, even minor ones, are expertly depicted. The structure of the book is perfect for expressing the theme.
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Even though the subject may not initially appeal to everyone, it should be read so we can learn what has been going on "over there" and how to avoid future tragedies.

Kevin Powers, the Poet

• Book Jacket: How to Stop Time
    How to Stop Time
    by Matt Haig
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May
  • Book Jacket: The Friend
    The Friend
    by Sigrid Nunez
    Sigrid Nunez is one of the most underrated authors writing today. Her work is so lovely, so ...

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

Force of Nature
    by Jane Harper

A riveting, tension-driven thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

Next Year in Havana
    by Chanel Cleeton

a Cuban-American woman travels to Havana, where she finds a family secret hidden since the revolution.

Win The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

A gripping novel from the award-winning author of For Today I Am a Boy.

G O T P, B The P, F T P