Reader reviews and comments on The City of Ember, plus links to write your own review.

The City of Ember

May 2004, 270 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The City of Ember

Anonymous

Very well wrote
This masterpiece by Jeanne DuPrau is very good for dystopian fans. Very good voice and choice of words. A very satisfying ending.

Five Out of Five!!!
Janice

Thoroughly enjoyed, Recommend to anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The City of Ember. The storyline follows the standard tale of adolescent children who are brave and smart enough to try and solve their people’s problem. Even though the story has that same skeletal structure, the plot itself is more unique. This book is geared towards readers in the age range of the main characters, 12 years old, but I found the novel interesting enough to read in a matter of days.

There is a good amount of suspense and mystery that could provide critical and creative thinking for the young readers; as well as the possibly of gaining bravery from the main characters. I felt like there were many words that would help broaden the young reader’s vocabularies as well. The story has some good depth to it, but some of the bumps in the journey are solved relatively easily—but that is to be expected for a story for this age group. There are three more books in the series, and the end of this book left me with a desire to read the second one. There are no inappropriate parts of the story that I would be embarrassed for young people to read. I think The City of Ember is a great book and would recommend it to anyone; it’s a good story and would be an enjoyable read for many different age groups.

I would have preferred having the main characters be in their early 20’s as opposed to 12-year-olds; I felt that would have made the story seem more realistic, but that’s not the age group it was intended for, nor is it necessarily realistic.
Zach

The city ofEmber
One of the greatest books I have read, for ages 9-13.
Inga

Fantastic book
This book is full of surprises and it is very interesting. ;))
sajiya

city of ember
I think the City of Ember is the most amazing book I have ever read.
me

City of Ember
I think that the City of Ember was a fantastic read for any age!
bookworm

city of ember
I haven't read this book in a while, but I have already read it twice in my lifetime and I really must say it was such an amazing book. I think that these series really captivates an audience and it makes you really want to read more. It's romantic, adventurous and thrilling all at the same time. The story line and concept and every little detail makes this book all the worth while! If you haven't read this book yet, trust me, it is VERY WELL WRITTEN. For those of you who may be Twilight fans, you will probably fall in love with this book because it has the same kind of mystery writing , if you know what i mean. It may be in the eyes of a child, but trust me it's for all. Why do you think they made a movie of it!
Maddie Woeste

The City Of Ember
I thought that that book was great!!!!The story was excellent. It made perfect sense.

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

The Affairs of the Falcóns
    by Melissa Rivero

A beautiful, urgent novel about the lengths one woman is willing to go to build a new life.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U