MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

Safe with Me

by Amy Hatvany

Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany X
Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany

• Published in USA  Mar 2014

There are currently 67 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Sandra W. (Marietta, OH)

Thought provoking
This book made me think about relationships and ideas. Nothing happens in isolation. We are all affected by the actions and decisions of others. The characters were well drawn. I could empathize with the characters and felt If I met them on the street I would know them.
At the beginning with the death of Emily Hannah is lost. What does she call herself because there is no name for a mother who has lost her daughter. She is not an orphan, a widow or a widower. My favorite character was Maddie because of her strength in sickness and recovery. If a good story appeals to you read Safe with Me. You may find however that you have trouble putting it down.
Diane W. (Lake Villa, IL)

Safe With Me Review
I really enjoyed the author's writing style in this book...and the premise of organ donation and it's myriad of issues is something I hadn't experienced before. The characters, for the most part, were believable and likable, though I'm always confused and somewhat annoyed by the idea of women with options available remaining in abusive relationships --- though I know there are reasons for such. Insights into the profound feelings of mothers and the choices women make in their life journeys is always of interest. Still not sure if I liked the ending or not....still processing what could have been other options. I'm interested in reading more by this author.
Amy W. (Annapolis, MD)

Engrossing quick read
I really enjoyed this book. The book started off a bit slow and sad, which is to be expected given the subject matter. But once Olivia and Hannah meet the story really takes off and I found it really hard to put down. The voices of each character were distinct and believable, so the different narration of each chapter worked to bring the story together. I would recommend this book.
Diana J. (Highland Falls, NY)

More of a surprise
When you read the back of the book, you assume this is a sunshine and roses type book. It's not...it's more about how the donor's family and the recipient's family both cope with the event. They do intersect at one point, and it becomes a focus of the book.
However, it's not the only focus. There's spousal abuse, etc, among the other themes.
I don't want to give too much away, but it was a good, fast read, without being too maudlin.
Linda M. (Lititz, PA)

Safe with Me
I enjoyed reading this book which I would recommend for mature Jr High on up. Having lived through a family member with the same type of transplant the girl in the story goes through, the author, Amy Hatvany, hit all the marks as far as right terminology, feelings from both the donor family and the recipient and how information is handeled through the National Transplant Registry. This book made me smile, cheer on and made me cry quite often. Safe with Me may be more suited to females and could in some ways be defined as "chick lit" but might also be enjoyed by males who are interested in this type of fiction.

I was impressed with the amount of research that went into the writing of this novel and at times wondered if the writer herself had been through the intense situations in the book as she had the feelings coming through so strongly that it felt at times as if I was reading an autobiography. I strongly recommend reading this book and look forward to reading more of her work.
Susan P. (Boston, MA)

Safe With Me
The story is told in the alternating voices of a well-off but badly treated wife, her daughter who has had a liver transplant, and the mother of the child who died and whose liver was transplanted. It's more realistic in the telling than one would think. The real suspense -- apart from whether the characters will all know the identity of each other -- is whether the abused wife and her daughter can escape the home they've grown to hate. The different voices were well done, especially the teenagers. A good read about finding happiness again.
Lucy B. (Urbana, OH)

The Gift of Life
One woman's loss becomes another woman's hope. A single woman's precious l2-year-old daughter Emily loses her life due to being struck by an automobile. Maddie, the daughter of Olivia and James is very ill and needs an organ transplant to save her life. Thus the story takes on more depth when Maddie receives the gift. James and Olivia never want to know who the gift was received from, but Hannah, Emily's mother, learns who received the gift and the story unfolds. Maddie's mother is an abused wife and suffers many beatings by her husband as the story progresses, which puts another twist to the story. I have to say that for me this book was "unputdownable."
Kathleen B. (Las Vegas, NV)

Timely Subjects
I am glad I read this book alone. I cried throughout the book. I related most to Olivia because I was a victim of domestic abuse. I totally understood her mindset and how she didn't leave for so many years. I could only imagine Hannah and Olivia's horror as mother's going through what they did. The pain of losing a child and the pain of watching a child with a grave disease. Maddie was the most interesting character in the book for me. Her intelligence and good nature throughout her long illness was remarkable. It was no wonder that she finally was feeling some of the reality of her situation and having to deal with social situations that never had been an issue before.
There was so much material covered in this book, dealing with aging parents, grief, organ donation, domestic violence and abuse, family relationships, betrayal and friendship. Wow, that covers just about everything.
This book could be a YA book, also and a great book club book. I gave it a four because it is almost impossible to get a five out of me.

• Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

Small Days and Nights
    by Tishani Doshi

A captivating and clear-eyed story of two sisters, set against the backdrop of modern India.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I