Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

Safe with Me

by Amy Hatvany

Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany X
Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany

• Published in USA  Mar 2014

There are currently 67 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Martha L. (Warner, NH)

an engaging storyline
Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany is a novel that is going to be published in March. While this is my first time reading a novel by her, this is not her first book. This book touches on difficult issues: loss of a child, organ donation and spousal abuse. There is a poignancy to the grief and a sharpness to the fear. Amy Hatvany's novel delivers characters struggling with their burdens. Their emotions underline the passion of the novel. Even during the hardest times, there is an underlying positiveness to the novel, with your hope moving them forward.

Hannah has lost her daughter, Alice. A tragic accident has left her raw with grief as she slowly pushes everything and everyone away. Her daughter's organs are donated to children needing transplants. Meanwhile, in a parallel story line, Olivia is living with her husband of many years and their teenage daughter who desperately needs a liver. Maddie is growing weaker daily, while waiting for a match. The two stories begin their connection when Maddie receives Alice's liver. However, it is as the story line continues that the secrets of Olivia and Maddie's lives are revealed.

This is the first Amy Hatvany novel I have read. I have enjoyed this book and will be adding her name to the writers to watch for. I was able to read the book easily in a day and found myself engaged with the storyline and empathy with the characters.

I received this book through BookBrowse with the understanding of providing an honest evaluation of the book.
Terrie J. (Eagan, MN)

Safe with Me is Hard to Put Down
I loved this book. The characters were very real and the way Amy Hathvany brought them to life hooked me from the beginning. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next in the book. While it was predictable that Hannah would meet the girl that Emily saved, Olivia and Maddie's life was not predictable. This book addressed abuse and the importance of having support to leave an abusive situation, yet I felt the focus of the book was on building a strong friendship and how important it is for a woman to have other strong women in her life. I look forward to reading more books by this author!!!!
Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO)

Great Read
Amy Hatvany's book "Safe With Me" is a page turner. Bookclubs will find much to discuss after reading this book. Ms Hatvany's characters are well developed and her storytelling will capture your heart. Hannah, Olivia and Maddie will stay with you long after the last page and you'll find yourself imaging the rest of their stories.
Betsy R. (Gig Harbor, WA)

Safe with Me
I just now finished Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany; I have not been able to put it down for the past day or so. She has told a story full of heartbreak in a realistic and empathetic way. Hannah, a stylist, and Olivia, a stay at home mom, are connected in ways that they would never guess; both have secrets that, once shared, give them hope. I highly recommend this book.
Michelle (Hillsdale, NJ)

Don't Pass This One Up!
I have read all of Amy Hatvany's books, and this is by far my favorite one. This book brought tears to my eyes numerous times while I was reading it. The story is told from the viewpoint of several different characters, and quite honestly, I couldn't tell you which was my favorite - they were all equally interesting (usually there is always one character that I'm not thrilled about, that is perhaps a bit boring - not here!) I'm not going to tell you a summary of the story, as you can look that up for yourself - I am going to say that this book is a terrific read from beginning to end and will leave you hoping you don't finish it to soon - but you will!
Rebecca R.

Modern Issues in a Good Story
This book is a quick read even though the plot revolves around serious issues as wide ranged as single parenthood, organ donation, caring for aging parents, and women caught in abusive relationships. I enjoyed reading this book but did waver at times between a 4 and a 5 rating, wishing there had been a 4.5 halfway point. I guess I like to reserve a 5 rating for books that seem a bit "meatier" (for lack of a better word). The sad opening conflict was described well, and I feel as if the author captured that sensation of disbelief and functioning like a robot during an emotional crisis - -those periods of time that one looks back on and wonders how one got through the initial grief. I did like the way the stories of the two mothers, Olivia and Hannah, were woven together. I immediately foresaw the issues with James, Olivia's then-new boyfriend, on page 15 with his comment about her hair color.I suspect that a lot of females have received those backhanded comments, and this book is a good warning to run the other way no matter how much money is involved. On a totally different issue, and unrelated to my rating of the book as well as something I've never noticed with any other book, the shape of the question marks with this book's font caught my eye and seemed strange.
Edie M. (Kennett Square, PA)

Hard subjects for a very enjoyable book
I loved reading Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany. There were many things going on that most of us on some level can relate to. This book was an easy/fast read and I enjoyed every second!
Ginny H. (Oregon)

Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany
The comparison to Jodi Picoult is what drew me to this book; however, the subjects discussed and the characters themselves are what connected me to the story from start to finish. This is a thought-provoking book about difficult subjects: domestic violence, death of a child, organ donation, and women's independence.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...
  • Book Jacket: Jack
    Jack
    by Marilynne Robinson
    If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead series, you already know who Jack is. Chances are, ...

A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

A powerful portrait of a young Ugandan girl and her family.

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C