Reader reviews and comments on The Tiger Rising, plus links to write your own review.

The Tiger Rising

by Kate DiCamillo

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo X
The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo

Mar 2001, 128 pages
    Aug 2002, 128 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Tiger Rising

Palendrome (04/25/04)

This book also needed a good foundation and yet again it was very prdidable. In all of her stories someone is always missing.
BookBrowse (01/15/04)

BookBrowse.com - Davina
I can understand the viewpoint of the visiting reviewers who say this book 'sucks', because if your reading experience has been with action orientated books that build to a dynamic conclusion with all the plot threads neatly tied together, you're probably going to think that not much really happens in this book and really, what's the point? - boy finds tiger, tells someone, gets in touch with his feelings, book ends - just when it looks like things are going to start 'happening'. But to my mind, as an adult reader, something very real has happened - to go into this in detail would give the story away so, all I can suggest is that if you're not sure about this one borrow it from a friend or the library - then you've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

If you like this book, I suggest Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay, Loser by Jerry Spinelli - both at BookBrowse, and Green Angel by Alice Hoffman.

As to whether it's credible to find a tiger in the middle of a wood, keep in mind the following summarized from an article published in The Week magazine in November 2003:

Americans own 7.3 million pet reptiles, including snakes and lizards, and 15,000 primates, mostly monkeys. There are now as many as 10,000 pet tigers in the U.S.—about twice the number of tigers left in the wild. At first. Tiger cubs are cute and playful, and their claws and teeth aren’t sharp enough to hurt a person. That changes quickly, though. Within three years, a tiger can reach 400 to 700 pounds and can kill with a single pounce. Pet tigers have fatally mauled at least nine people in the U.S. in the past five years. In addition to tigers, there are an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 other big cats in private hands.

Ninety percent of reptiles carry salmonella, causing 93,000 human infections each year. A similar percentage of the popular macaque monkeys carry herpes B and can transmit it through their saliva. Last summer, 72 people contracted monkey pox, a variant of smallpox, from pet prairie dogs, which caught the disease from a giant Gambian rat also headed for the pet market. By some estimates, only 10 percent of wild pets still live with their owners after two years. About 60 percent die within the first month of purchase.
Elle (01/01/04)

A beautiful story of pain and friendship.
qui (10/14/03)

this book just sucked
brooke (04/08/03)

Best book
Jeannie (03/07/03)

This is a great book! I have nothing to say, Kate DiCamillio did a great job on this book. I enjoyed it very much because right from the first page I was hooked in. I don't want to tell you the story just read, it is awesome.
Karen (02/01/03)

I think this book is okay. I was a little disappointed. It seemed like a short story and was too long. I do like how the Rob and his father opened up in the end.
marmi (01/27/03)

The language in this book is very vivid. The author uses the five senses and halps you feel what is going on. Even though you could guess the ending...when it occured you were still shocked.

• Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Sometimes I Lie