MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Tiger Rising, plus links to write your own review.

The Tiger Rising

by Kate DiCamillo

The Tiger Rising

Mar 2001, 128 pages
    Aug 2002, 128 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Tiger Rising

Aaron Wang (01/04/05)

This book was great it made me cry! It is so full of feeling and emotions that is so unbelievably sorrowful. I highly reccommend it to those who love to read. How could others out there give this wonderful book a 1? What's so bad about this book that you didn't like? Tiger Rising should be read by kids of all ages.
hannah w. (12/30/04)

It seems to me that everyone who rates this either gives it a 1 or a 5. All in all, it was great, but it did leave you with an empty feeling inside of you, like the story got done before it started. Oh yeah, I would recomend this for people who aren't allowed to say 'sucked'.
kim (11/12/04)

I think that if someone reads this over and over they would have soooo much joy that they could dance in front of the biggest crowd ever!
Liza (11/12/04)

I think this book sould be read by everybody! it was so great I read it 3 times in 1 week.
Emily (11/01/04)

It is a great book! I love The Tiger Rising .! I recommened it to everyone!
rose (06/08/04)

I read it in One day
Palendrome (04/25/04)

This book also needed a good foundation and yet again it was very prdidable. In all of her stories someone is always missing.
BookBrowse (01/15/04)

BookBrowse.com - Davina
I can understand the viewpoint of the visiting reviewers who say this book 'sucks', because if your reading experience has been with action orientated books that build to a dynamic conclusion with all the plot threads neatly tied together, you're probably going to think that not much really happens in this book and really, what's the point? - boy finds tiger, tells someone, gets in touch with his feelings, book ends - just when it looks like things are going to start 'happening'. But to my mind, as an adult reader, something very real has happened - to go into this in detail would give the story away so, all I can suggest is that if you're not sure about this one borrow it from a friend or the library - then you've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

If you like this book, I suggest Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay, Loser by Jerry Spinelli - both at BookBrowse, and Green Angel by Alice Hoffman.

As to whether it's credible to find a tiger in the middle of a wood, keep in mind the following summarized from an article published in The Week magazine in November 2003:

Americans own 7.3 million pet reptiles, including snakes and lizards, and 15,000 primates, mostly monkeys. There are now as many as 10,000 pet tigers in the U.S.—about twice the number of tigers left in the wild. At first. Tiger cubs are cute and playful, and their claws and teeth aren’t sharp enough to hurt a person. That changes quickly, though. Within three years, a tiger can reach 400 to 700 pounds and can kill with a single pounce. Pet tigers have fatally mauled at least nine people in the U.S. in the past five years. In addition to tigers, there are an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 other big cats in private hands.

Ninety percent of reptiles carry salmonella, causing 93,000 human infections each year. A similar percentage of the popular macaque monkeys carry herpes B and can transmit it through their saliva. Last summer, 72 people contracted monkey pox, a variant of smallpox, from pet prairie dogs, which caught the disease from a giant Gambian rat also headed for the pet market. By some estimates, only 10 percent of wild pets still live with their owners after two years. About 60 percent die within the first month of purchase.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T