Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022 and Award Winners

What readers think of Some of It Was Real, plus links to write your own review.

Some of It Was Real

by Nan Fischer

Some of It Was Real by Nan Fischer X
Some of It Was Real by Nan Fischer

• Paperback:
    Jul 2022, 352 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for Some of It Was Real

Barbara B. (Evansville, IN)

Very Suspenseful
May I first mention that this novel has adult content that can be distressful to some readers? Just a mild warning, because the dangerous suspense is what most readers are looking for. It definitely becomes gruesome toward the end of the book.

Sylvie is a beautiful, successful entertainer in the psychic profession. Thomas is a handsome investigative reporter for the LA Times who wants to destroy Sylvie's career so his job as a reporter can be award-winning. There's a cat and a dog mixed into the story to make both characters seem kind and honest. The author has a penchant for creating realistic conversations between the characters. Readers will be focused on the story until the very end because it has many twists.
Laurie W. (Sunnyvale, CA)

Psychic Medium, Childhood Trauma and Romance
This book kept my attention from beginning to end. I was able to put aside belief and accept that Sylvia might have some actual psychic ability. The unknown events of her past kept me turning pages to find out what had happened. Narration by both main characters was essential. I don't think this story would have worked without hearing both perspectives. The predictable romance didn't hold much interest for me, but the relationship did keep the story moving. The pets contributed added interest, although I've never met an actual cat that would travel and behave as affably as this one did. I recommend this book for those who are interested in psychics and/or in discovering buried memories of childhood trauma.

Thanks to the publisher and BookBrowse for an ARC copy of this book for review.
Patricia S (SC)

Very enjoyable
I am not typically a big fan of books about psychics/mediums, but must say I enjoyed Nan Fischer's tale. It was a quick read. I found the characters to be believable. Sylvie struggles with trying to decide whether she herself believes in her psychic-medium "gift". Thomas struggles with overcoming biases based upon personal experience as he looks for evidence that Sylvie is a fraud. They both exhibit both human strengths and weaknesses. The pets are a nice addition to the book, adding a different way to observe the characters personalities. Overall, while the book is not a masterpiece, it is a thoroughly enjoyable story with a satisfying conclusion.
Ruth H. (Sebring, FL)

Psychic vs. Reporter
Good story line, believable characters, quick read. I really enjoyed Nan Fischer's writing style and was kept in suspense for most of the book. Sylvie and Thomas were such adversaries most of the time but was surprised how it all ended. I see this as a future movie! Thanks BookBrowse and Net Galley for a book that was fun to read with little unsavory language and flowed fast for mystery and love
Karen R. (Columbus, OH)

Slow start then a page turn
I received a complementary copy of this ebook from NetGalley, through the Bookbrowse website first impressions.

This book took me a little while to get into it. I didn't enjoy the writing style but the plot was great, so even though I kept putting it down, I was still thinking about the characters. Then about halfway through I couldn't put it down.

The book is about the developing relationship between a psychic-medium and a journalist who is convinced all psychics are frauds.

I recommend this book.
Stephanie K. (Glendale, AZ)

Belief and Doubt in a Psychic's World
Sylvie Young's doubt that she's a "real" psychic gives Thomas Holmes plenty of salacious fodder for his next journalist effort which "has" to be spectacular, or he's fired. Their background traumas form a strange admixture with their career clashes and personal agendas as they both fight yet give into romantic love. In Thomas' mind, she's a psychic vampire, much like the so-called "medium" who fleeced his mother into bankruptcy. Is Sylvie just another phony or the real deal? As Sylvie tries desperately to reassure herself and the world of her integrity, Thomas does all he can to tear her down. Who or what will triumph in this war of the wills?
Kavita Singh

Same of it was real
Enjoyed this story about a psychic (or is she?) and her quest to uncover her past while a journalist is trying to prove she is a fraud. A bit of mystery, a bit of romance, an intriguing story overall.

Sylvie is a psychic who is quickly gaining a following. She always seems to know exactly what the person she is talking to wants to hear. At one of her shows, she takes a man up on stage and gives him a reading, but afterwards she finds out he is a reporter and that he planted his false backstory online in order to show that she is a fake. Thomas calls her a "grief vampire" and has an agenda to write a tell-all story a bout her. Sylvie knows that some of what she tells people is real and wants to prove that she is actually a psychic. But there are things about her past that are unclear and Thomas begins to develop feelings for her as they search for the truth.

This book is interesting as it is surprisingly more deep and meaningful than I was expecting. Yes, there's some steamy romance, and yes, there's the mystery of Sylvie's past that is uncovered bit by bit. Yet I was touched and grew to really care about the characters and their growth as people throughout the book. As much as I was rooting for Sylvie to prove herself to Thomas, I was also rooting for him to be successful as well. Do I believe psychics are real? Not really, but it sure makes for an intriguing concept for a book.

A bit of a warning: there's an animal death and it's downright sad. It's not gratuitous or violent, but it did make me cry so keep your tissues handy.

Lovely book, I'm very glad I read it and hope you will too!

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book, all opinions are my own.
Karen W. (Atlanta, GA)

A mystery and love story with psychic focus
Whether you believe in psychic powers or not, this is a fairly entertaining mystery with a love story thrown in. In fact, I wish there were more scenes of the psychic readings and fewer of the romance, but that's just me.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Voted 2022 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Geraldine Brooks creates a ...
  • Book Jacket: In Love
    In Love
    by Amy Bloom
    Voted 2022 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. In 2019, author Amy Bloom and her...
  • Book Jacket: Remarkably Bright Creatures
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    by Shelby Van Pelt
    Voted 2022 Best Debut Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel, ...

Members Recommend

Scatterlings
    by Resoketswe Martha Manenzhe

The debut novel of a gifted storyteller who has become a sensation in her native South Africa.

The Big Holiday Wordplay

The Ways We Hide
by Kristina McMorris

Children are not the people of tomorrow, but people today.