Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022 and Award Winners

What readers think of Some of It Was Real, plus links to write your own review.

Some of It Was Real

Jul 2022, 352 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for Some of It Was Real

Jennie R. (Highland, CA)

Such an enjoyable read…
This one was a quick read. I liked the stories behind the two main characters, Sylvia and Thomas, as well as the complicated interactions between the two of them. Thomas, a journalist, is almost desperate for a knock-it-out-of-the-park article to save his career, and Sylvie, a psychic-medium, has complex reasons for agreeing to helping him do research for the article. Chapters are alternately narrated by the two, which is a style I always enjoy reading. This book that really held my interest and interruptions in my reading made me a bit resentful! I couldn't wait to get back to it so I could discover what would unfold next. Thank you BookBrowse for the chance to read the ARC…I hope the author gets plenty of well deserved praise on this one!
Rebecca G. (Havertown, PA)

Unexpectedly good
This is the first book that I've read in a while that I could not put down. On the surface, it's the story of two adversaries, Sylvie, a rising psychic-medium who may be a fraud and Thomas, a journalist, out to prove she is one. Thomas wants a story and challenges Sylvie to do her next show without the prep she usually does researching her audience to find those looking to connect to their loved ones. She agrees and they begin a weeklong journey seemingly to come to a conclusion about what Sylvie is really about. It's difficult, at times, to know who to root for; Sylvie, who actually helps people whether her gift is real or not or Thomas who is driven to expose the those he sees as charlatans who prey on people, like his mother, desperate to find peace. Their divisive journey becomes a shared goal as they work to discover Sylvie's past. In the end, they are two very broken people that discover the best in each other while becoming their true selves.
Susan L. (Alexandria, VA)

More Than a Romance
This romance is about more than just falling in love. It tells the story of two flawed people driven by their past and ambition. Pitted against each other, they find redemption in the truth and in acceptance. I quite enjoyed the book and will look for more by this author. Her story and characters pulled me in and kept me turning pages.
Peggy T. (Richardson, TX)

Some of It Was Real
This is not a romance although there is a relationship. It is more of a dual coming of age in early adulthood for two people, each with a traumatic past. There is also a family saga involved for each of them. Along with some very poignant animal companion moments. I did cry at one point.

It took me a little while to really get into this book but then I was hooked and finished most of in one reading. It was a very compelling, fulfilling story.
Samantha H. (Golden, CO)

Compelling Plot and Intriguing characters
This book was hard to put down! Nan Fischer's book "Some of It Was Real" is an interesting combination of a mystery adventure and complex character development. Days later I still find myself thinking about this story. The two main characters set off traveling together, both with bad intent, filled with animosity and hate. As they delve into the past, they each end up sharing their basic humanity and vulnerability with each other even though their cross-purposes continue. An intriguing, engaging read.
Amy S. (Tucson, AZ)

"Some of It" Really Rang True
A very funny thing happened to me days before I sat down to read "Some of It Is Real". I was asked to be a palm reader at a Mardi Event that would raise money for student scholarships. How could I say no, right? The only problem was that I had no idea how to read palms and just a week to prepare.

I opted to go the "not so serious" route, so I wasn't at all surprised that Thomas' character was out to prove psychics are con artists. In fact, I was amazed by his research into the methods psychics may use to be more effective, such as checking the social media accounts of attendees. This was an aha moment for me, like discovering how a magician actually does his tricks. And in my own role as a palm reader, I couldn't help chuckling at the people who told me I was spot on or that I gave them goosebumps.

Yet... haven't we all experienced a tingling sensation at some point in our lives, or known something, or felt or seen something that we can't rationally explain?

The author did an excellent job of bringing both sides of the argument to a "happy medium", or at least, she opened the door for me to be more open and imagine the possibilities.

I struggled with the secrets kept about who Syvie really was and how deeply conflicted her relationship with her adoptive parents was. That wasn't as genuine to me as the exploration of her craft. However, the message about following your true passions and trusting who you are was a definite strength and a point very well received.
Janice A. (Colfax, WI)

Secrets, Truths and Lies
Whether you believe in psychic-mediums or not, Nan Fischer will have you wanting to continue reading "Some of it was Real" beyond your sleep time. Fischer had me wondering throughout the book what were lies and what was the truth. Then she would hint at a secret that added to my confusion and a desire to continue reading to further understand Sylvie, Thomas and other characters. I recommend this book as the writing, depth and plot are well done and made me contemplate the role that secrets, truths and lies play in our lives as well as the reality of psychic-mediums.
Sherri T. (Indianapolis, IN)

A Wonderful Read About Perception
Sylvie is a psychic with a troubled past. Thomas is a reporter who is on the search for fake psychics. Nan Fischer in "Some of It Was Real" offers the reader a complex narrative of how people see each of their own realities in complex comparison to those they are with. Ms. Fischer narrates in such a way that keeps her readers engaged and always questioning as to which perspective is most believable and what reality truly is. The plot twists and turns as Sylvie works to prove that her gift is real to Thomas, a skeptic, to a surprising end that is extremely satisfying to the reader.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Voted 2022 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Geraldine Brooks creates a ...
  • Book Jacket: In Love
    In Love
    by Amy Bloom
    Voted 2022 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. In 2019, author Amy Bloom and her...
  • Book Jacket: Remarkably Bright Creatures
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    by Shelby Van Pelt
    Voted 2022 Best Debut Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel, ...

Members Recommend

Scatterlings
    by Resoketswe Martha Manenzhe

The debut novel of a gifted storyteller who has become a sensation in her native South Africa.

The Big Holiday Wordplay