Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022

What readers think of Some of It Was Real, plus links to write your own review.

Some of It Was Real

Jul 2022, 352 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for Some of It Was Real

Susan W. (Berkley, MI)

Character Development with Plot Twists
I enjoyed this book very much. There were plenty of plot twists that were intriguing, starting with the title of the book. The character development unfolded in an interesting way, with the voice of the storyteller alternating among Sylvie, Lucas, and Thomas; it was very effective.

This is another benchmark of a good book for me. Do I wish it hadn't ended yet or do I wish there were a sequel? I definitely felt like this at the end of Some of It Was Real.

I think this could be a good book club book. The plot and characters would definitely generate a lot of conversation.
Barbara P. (Mountain Center, CA)

More than expected
Nan Fischer did an excellent job of introducing every character and pulling me into their story. Sometimes I loved them, and sometimes I wanted to shake them senseless - but the point is, through the entire book, I was engaged. I picked the book up and didn't want to put it down; as I went through my day, I was continually plotting how and when I could get back to it.
Catherine O. (Altavista, VA)

Winner
I devoured this book. It is so rare to find a novel with a completely fresh plot. The author was so skillful at leading us through events. The suspense was real, but never overtook the human connections being made. She made the story believable and made you care deeply for the characters, even the four legged ones. This is a book I can recommend to all my reading friends. I am excited to read this book with my book club, There are so many themes to talk about. My favorite book of the year!
Dee dee K. (Incline Village, NV)

Satisfying Read
I was first intrigued by the premise of the book. A physic medium who doubts herself and a journalist out to prove her a con and grief vampire. I then quickly devoured the book and It did not disappoint. The book takes some interesting and unexpected twists and turns. Not often do I read a mystery where I haven't figured out the ending mid-way through the book. Here the ending is unexpected and believable, a hard line to walk. I enjoyed how Sylvie's and Thomas's relationship with their parents, past and present, weave in and out of the story. I also enjoyed what the character's choice of pets tells us about the sensitive, hidden side of themselves. It was a satisfying read and I would highly recommend it.
Dan W. (Fort Myers, FL)

What Was Real?
I was thoroughly engrossed in reading this book. The author had so many twists and turns in this book that at times it was difficult to sort the facts from the fiction of the story. I did not have a clue as to the actual mystery of Sylvie's early struggles or how she found the strength to cope with her past and pending end to her career as a psychic. The injection of the antics of the dog and cat in the story added much needed humor to the dark underpinnings of the book. An engrossing read!
Kathryn H. (Rochester, MI)

Sylvie is a medium: yes or no?
Whether or not you believe in psychics or mediums, "Some of It Was Real" is an entertaining book. Sylvie, the psychic/medium, gets a visit from Thomas, a journalist who wants to expose her as a fraud.

Sylvie is an orphan who remembers none of her life before her adoptive parents. Thomas grew up with his mother following a car crash that killed his father and brother. From his preparation for his article about her, he also knows more about Sylvie's past than she does.

Sylvie doubts herself. She doesn't know how much of her success is due to the research she does about her subjects before each show and how much has its origin in her unusual abilities. She has given remarkably accurate predictions at times-- without any preparation.

Thomas wants to dislike Sylvie. Sylvie doesn't want to lose her livelihood. Both become convinced that Sylvie needs to learn what happened in her forgotten first six years of life.

Nan Fischer tells the story from both Sylvie's and Thomas's viewpoints, alternating chapters to do so.

Fischer lets the reader make up his/her mind about mediums and psychics. The rest of the main characters' stories may be at least equally important anyway.
maryg

Winning Story
Winning Story!

Part romance, part mystery, Some of it Was Real by Nan Fischer is hard to put down.

Sylvie is a psychic-medium. Adopted at age 6, Sylvie cannot remember her childhood prior to that time and is subject to recurring nightmares and panic attacks. Thomas is a journalist who is determined to prove that Sylvie is a fraud. The tragic accident that claimed the life of his father and brother has left his mother obsessed with trying to reach them on the other side and unable to move on with her life. Thomas hopes exposing mediums like Sylvie will end her obsession.

Their attraction grows even as he seeks to ruin her career and she maneuvers to stop him. The fact that they are both inherently kind and decent people leaves the reader hoping for a happy ending for both of them.

This is an extremely enjoyable book that will have you reading far into the night.
Catheryne Z. (Plano, TX)

Discovering Past Family Truths
Sylvia, an rising star psychic medium and Thomas, a journalist trying to prove that psychics are a fraud, go on a week long journey to prove their different agendas. They both have issues in their pasts that they want to resolve. The story drew me in from the beginning. As the story goes on, their past mysteries are revealed. I really enjoyed the story and the characters drew me in. I highly recommend the book. Their pets, Moose and Chris, add another interesting layer to the story.

Thank you NetGalley and BookBrowse for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You
    by Kevin Wilson

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, a new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

W N, W Not

Honor
by Thrity Umrigar

Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting