What readers think of Some of It Was Real, plus links to write your own review.

Some of It Was Real

Jul 2022, 352 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for Some of It Was Real

Swadesh

Mysterious romance
Perusing the portrayal, I didn't figure this book would snatch my advantage however I was wonderfully astonished! By page 2 I was snared! Elegantly composed, fascinating characters and a decent story line that kept me locked in. I read this in 2 days.

I was stressed a story over a clairvoyant would be crazy and not conceivable, yet that wasn't the way this book worked out. I was keen on both primary characters, becoming familiar with Sylvia's history and felt the speed of the book moved along rapidly.

I suggest this read, regardless of whether you figure the portrayal would be for you.
Lupita G. (Plantation, FL)

Not your typical romance book...
This isn't your typical rom-com book, because there's SO MUCH MORE than what has been published lately. Sylvie is a psychic-medium with a huge following, yet she has some secrets of her own. Thomas is an L.A. journalist writing about "grief vampires" - what he calls people like Sylvie - who firmly beliefs that she's a charlatan.

But while they are complete opposites, they have more things in common than they realize. The story keeps you turning the pages; the characters are realistic, and there are very funny moments, especially with their pets.

Highly recommend this one for book clubs, or for anyone who needs a "light read" but with substance.
Sandra B. (Buda, TX)

What was real?
I enjoyed this book. It kept you guessing as to what was really Sylvia's history and why couldn't she remember. Trying to understand why Thomas felt the way he did about Sylvia's profession and if she was going to change his mind kept you wondering. The author did well with keeping the mystery and adding a bit of romance.
Gary R. (Bolingbrook, IL)

I can read your mind?
This was not my typical choice to read but the synopsis sounded interesting, so I took a chance and it was a very pleasant surprise. I really liked the way it was told in alternating chapters by the two main characters, Sylvie, the psychic, or is she just a scam? And Thomas,the reporter, trying to redeem himself after a disastrous article, trying to keep his job by proving that psychics are charlatans. Really liked it, get it--you won't be disappointed
Mel F. (Auburn, MA)

A real page turner that you wouldn't predict
Sylvie Young is a psychic-medium who uses glitzy performances before packed audiences to demonstrate her abilities. Her success is burgeoning, and she is aiming for stardom.

Thomas Holmes, a reporter for the L.A. times, is determined to write a front-page expose about Sylvie to prove she is a hoax. However, he has insufficient evidence to support his claim.

Thomas and Sylvie make a commitment to travel together to her next "gig" in Oregon, but each have stipulations. Thomas is figuratively going to "co join" with Sylvie by sharing a single train compartment and confiscating her electronic devices so she cannot cheat by getting advance background information on her audience. Sylvie agrees to a detour to visit her foster parents so Thomas can interview them about her childhood.

This trip is transformational for both as they deal with issues involving relationships, families, Sylvie's spontaneous predictions to strangers, haunting dreams, and family secrets.

The author masterfully crafted this story because her chapters switch between Sylvie and Thomas and the reader feels invested in their journey. Her language is artful. Her descriptions are evocative. She uses words and phrases that are subtly predictive.

All the twists and turns in the story make it totally engrossing and what will happen next is unpredictable. This book is excellent for a book club since it presents so many discussion points.

The author states that the reader's "take away" is "a belief that anything is possible." Only the reader can decide.
Amber H. (Asheville, NC)

Good, quick read!
Reading the description, I didn't think this book would grab my interest but I was pleasantly surprised! By page 2 I was hooked! Well written, interesting characters and a good story line that kept me engaged. I read this in 2 days.

I was worried a story about a psychic would be ridiculous and not believable, but that wasn't how this book played out. I was interested in both main characters, learning more about Sylvia's backstory and felt the pace of the book moved along quickly.

I recommend this read, even if you don't think the description would be for you.
windellh

Some of it was real
"Some of It Was Real" was a great read. Sylvie and Thomas were believable characters because the author displayed their good and bad traits with great timing and good emotional response.The story line was unique. We don't read a lot about psychics in novels today. Strange how their life stories were very similar. This would be a great book club novel. I read this in 2 sittings.
Sylvia T. (Rancho Mirage, CA)

A Future Movie
I really enjoyed Nan Fischer's writing style and was kept in suspense for most of the book. Sylvie and Thomas were such adversaries most of the time, but was surprised how it all ended. I believe readers will be focused on this story until the very end because it has many clever twists!

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...
  • Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

Exiles
    by Jane Harper

A captivating new mystery from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Jane Harper.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

It's A G T Me

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say. ...