Reader reviews and comments on The God of Small Things, plus links to write your own review.

The God of Small Things

by Arundhati Roy

The God of Small Things

May 1997, 321 pages
    May 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 55 reader reviews for The God of Small Things

so-so at best (05/16/04)

The book is a prime example of the uselesss trype that is literature today, National Endowment of Arts style drivel much akin to the photo of the cross in a pool of urine. purile at best, why such reliance of human viscus, good imagery and loose prose style. i found it interesting that such great authors praised the book, while literary hacks like will self recognized it for the waste of time it is, the whole time i read it i just wanted to get to the point already. what's the deal with the masturbation scene and the incest scenes, how hackneyed can one get. read a der spiegel interview with roy, absolutely laughable, what mind-numbing crap, spewing ignorant bleeding heart, uniformed liberal nonesense that one would expect from such an ideologue.
pallavi (04/25/04)

i must congratulate Roy for an excellent thing she has done,i never expected to find such original thoughts
ever in a novel or elsewhere.She has actually made literature of 'junk' and 'trash'!the useless,forgotten and senseless thoughts,of our childhood which which we never cared to recall or remember but discarded most of the time as 'garbage thought' now find a new place in sensible literature.roy polishes the the deserted memories,and carefully places them in a red velvevt box with glass lids for everyone to admire.we did understand the value of the thoughts bcoz we have all experienced it.Childhood never dies
it is alive breathing somewhere in the corner of our lives which speaks when you speak to it.
The language is amzingly alive with all senses involved what is seen,smelt,felt in the heart and the feelings described are all real ,I could identify with every aspect of Rahel's childhood.
Anthony Boogie (04/23/04)

Her writing is just as beautiful as she is. Told from, a very convincing, child's perspective. An emotional, mysterious, tragic, poetic love story that mesmerizes as it unfolds.
Hannah (04/02/04)

The book has some wonderful and even eerie images that take your breath away. Top marks for that, but it can be a little long winded and jumps around too much
hannah (03/12/04)

I could never give a title to a single favourite book until I read The God of Small Things.
Rabiye (03/08/04)

This was the BEST book I have ever read. At the end of the book, all the waiting and anxiety overwhelmed me and I cried for about 20 minutes. This is a book one has to read to understand what I mean. Praise Arundhati Roy for her cleverness on double timing. No one else could have pulled it off as well she did.
Thomas (01/21/04)

I absolutely despised this book, its vague and jumps all over the place (this is the highly acclaimed present-past switching thing). If the authors attempt was to create a 'mystic' book by making it absolutely unreadable, she succeeded.

Now okay, I may sound a bit narrow minded, but I enjoyed books as varied as Catch 22, Ben Elton's High Society and Bronte's Jane Eyre, so its not because I only enjoy books that have exciting, modern plots or characters that I relate to, that I dont like this book.

Thomas - 17 yrs
Pelin Çetin (12/12/03)

It's a magical book. The way love flows underneath the whole story but there's life and limitations and small pleasures on top of it is just incredible. And there's no words to describe how intense the story made me feel at the end of the book. The language and the plot are both undescribably beautiful. I'm not expecting to read a more beautiful story written in English.

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age
    Barkskins
    by Annie Proulx

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All