Reader reviews and comments on The Sun Down Motel, plus links to write your own review.

by Simone St. James

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James X
The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

Feb 2020, 336 pages
    Oct 2020, 352 pages

There are currently 49 reader reviews for The Sun Down Motel

Marybeth T. (Bellingham, WA)

Scary!!
I was drawn to this book by the cover. This is a beautiful cover and so intriguing. The book was just as good. I'm not really a ghost story person but this worked for me.

I will say that when I was reading it at night I got a little uncomfortable. This is a fast paced and interesting read.

Highly, Highly recommend!!!
RI (NJ)

The Sun Down Motel
If you like a creepy thriller that you can't put down, this is the book for you. The story is alternatively told between two characters, Carly in 2017 and her Aunt Viv in 1982, who has been missing since then. Haunted by the disappearance of her Aunt Viv, Carly travels to Fell, New York to find the truth about what happened. Carly ends up working as the night clerk at the Sun Down Hotel, the same job her aunt had thirty-five years earlier. The same eerie things happen to both of them while working there, involving murders and the supernatural. After finding out what each discovers along the way, the whole thing comes together in a very calamitous ending.
Peggy T. (Richardson, TX)

Vacancy! Cable TV!
As a fan of Simone St James, I was not sure I would like this book as much as the previous books of hers that I have read because the others were all set in the period between WWI and WWII. That time period seems a better milieu for her ghostly gothic novels.

However, within about 15 pages of reading, I was hooked on this one too. I could not put it down and I was totally taken in by the twist at the ending. Very satisfying read.
Catharine L. (Petoskey, MI)

Creepy Mystery
The book got off to a slow start but became a page turner. The setting is small town Fell, NY. The chapters alternate between Viv in 1982 and her niece, Carly, in 2017, who is investigating the disappearance of her aunt. In my opinion , the ghostly inhabitants of the motel did not add to the plot, and the creepy door-to-door salesman character should have been more developed. All in all, the book was entertaining - a good fall/winter read.
Ian M., McFarland, Wisconsin

Two Great Mysteries in One Spooky Motel
The Sun Down Motel is a quick and enjoyable read that will appeal to baby boomers and millennials.

The novel consists of two converging mysteries taking place at the eponymous motel, 35 years apart. St. James is adept at jumping back-and-forth between the two mysteries to keep the reader invested in both.

Several major characters are a bit shallow, the supernatural elements are more icing than cake, and the ending is a bit anticlimactic. Yet, these flaws don't spoil the read.

Sun Down Motel is fun and engaging. A great page-turner and a solid recommend.
Madeline M (Florida)

Haunted and Haunting
I so enjoy the work of Ms. St. James, and I was thrilled to get my hands on an ARC of her newest novel. Creepy scenes had me looking up from the page to make sure I was actually alone in the room, while other moments had me thinking about all the lost girls in the world.

I did struggle with connecting to the present day storyline and the POV character. However, the past storyline and the POV character of Vivian Delaney were utterly haunting.
Jeff M. (Somerset, NJ)

The Sun Down Motel
An interesting mystery with a supernatural element included. With chapters alternating between 1982 and 2017, the story revolves around The Sun Down Motel (definitely not a AAA rated facility!) as Carly seeks to find out what happened to her aunt, who disappeared from the motel in 1982. The two sets of stories converge at the end for a satisfactory resolution. The story is well-written, the pace is quick, characters are developed sufficiently and has a decent level of suspense. I will admit that I did stay up past 1 AM one evening to finish the book. Even if you are not into stories with paranormal effects, there is enough of a mystery to keep the interest of all readers. Overall, I would recommend the book.
Carolyn L. (Summerville, SC)

The Sun Down Motel
I found this book to be mildly entertaining, but not unputdownable. I became frustrated at times with certain characters actions (or inactions), and I really questioned some of the legal ramifications near the end of the story (It's hard to be specific without giving a spoiler.) Cannot heartily endorse this one, but it isn't terrible.

The American Roadside Motel

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

At the Edge of the Haight
    by Katherine Seligman

Winner of the 2019 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

From the moment I picked your book up...

T M T C, T M T Stay T S