MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Sun Down Motel, plus links to write your own review.

The Sun Down Motel

Feb 2020, 336 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Sun Down Motel

Ruth H. (Sebring, FL)

Carly's Adventure
A well written mystery I thoroughly enjoyed! I had not read this author before and am now wanting to read her other books. Such interesting characters, Vivian and Carly, Simon, Marnie and Alma, I could just see each one of them. I like the style of this book being the past and the present. The description of the hotel was spot on since I grew up in a small town that had a very similar hotel. Carly had to have some "guts" to go there and discover what really happened. I especially liked the surprise ending! Fun read!
Nanette S. (San Pierre, IN)

The Sun Down Motel
Excellent story. This is my first experience reading a Simone St. James novel and I enjoyed every minute of it. The storylines of the past and present, told through Carly and Viv, were easy to follow. The creepiness of the motel adds to both storylines. Something happened to Viv back in 1982 at the Sun Down Motel. Move forward to 2017 when Carly decides, she herself, is going to Fell, NY and the motel to find out exactly what happened to Viv back then. Once she gets to the Sun Down Motel she sees that nothing has changed at all from when it was first built, and the creepiness of the motel hasn't changed either.
The suspense just keeps building as the pages are turned.
This one was worth it and I will read more by this author.
Sarah B. (Streamwood, IL)

Another gem
This is my second Simone St. James book, and it is another gem. The two narratives made sense, and both drove the story forward. I cared about both "main" characters. This is one of my favorite books of the year.
Barry E. (Margate City, NJ)

Well Done
Not truly being a fan of the paranormal theme, I found this book was able to combine an exciting mystery with just enough ghosts not overwhelm the plot. The paranormal enhanced the quality of an excellent mystery, not making the outcome unrealistic.
Having never read anything by the author, I would surely read her other books because of the quality of this writing. Using the technique of discussing two separate characters in alternating chapters, bringing them together as the book ended lent a sense of wanting to always continue and see what the outcome was. Once started I could not put the book down until finished.
The author was able to combine many pertinent topics of the time especially those, as a male I feel primary relate to the ongoing issues of male-female relationships in our society. Discussed in nuance terms are facts like women get killed because of the vulnerability, men like women who are vulnerable, and women can do their own things and do it well.
I highly suggest this book to all people, you will never forget Viv Delaney, her niece Carly and all the ghosts of the Sundown Motel.
Carole P. (Framingham, MA)

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James
Creepy, scary, intense , gripping....I can go on and on. Simone St James is one of my favourite authors anyway, but this time she has gone to a new level. I love a good ghost story and this one was very unique. The story alternates between Viv and her niece. Carly is determined to solve the disappearance years ago of Viv. Now around the same age as her aunt when she vanished , Carly wants to solve the mystery and so retraces her aunt's steps. Honestly, I don't know how to end this review. I couldn't put this down, was constantly holding my breath and was sad and relieved when it was done. Great read for a dark winters night.
June A. (Fort Worth, TX)

Hard to put down!
I stayed up way too late finishing this book. Loved the premise of the haunted motel, as I stayed in many creepy roadside motels as an Army brat . Many of the independent motels in small towns have an air of neglect that lend them a "Bates Motel" vibe. Viv works at and disappears from the Sun Down Motel in 1982. Her niece, Carly, follows literally in her footsteps 35 years later to try and find out what happened to her. I have added Simone St. James' other books to my "Want to Read" list after enjoying this page turner.
Frances N

Motel with ghosts and links to murders
I really enjoyed this book. It was perfectly creepy and kept me guessing for 300 pages. I liked the premise of not knowing who (or what) people/events really were. Thankfully, the chapter titles helped to remind me if I was in 1982 or 2017, since Carly and her Aunt Viv were so very much alike in their curiosity and bravery.
Teresa L. (Corona, CA)

Ghostly Creepy Goodness!
Do not read this book alone in the dark...like I did! Ghostly, creepy supernatural with a mystery thrown in...all the good stuff you have come to expect from a great Simone St. James book! The interwoven timelines of Carly Kirk looking for her missing aunt, Viv Delaney, at a haunted motel in the middle of nowhere New York leads to an un-put-downable gripping read! And the cover is amazing! If you like ghost stories, loved "The Broken Girls", then do yourself a favor and pick up "The Sun Down Motel" on sale February 18, 2020!

The American Roadside Motel

• Book Jacket: Race Against Time
    Race Against Time
    by Jerry Mitchell
    Jerry Mitchell spent nearly three decades trailing cold cases from the Civil Rights Movement. As a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed