MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Sun Down Motel, plus links to write your own review.

by Simone St. James

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James X
The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

• Published:
    Feb 2020, 336 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Sun Down Motel

Mary H. (Ocala, FL)

Ready to be Scared?
I thoroughly enjoyed this atmospheric novel that is part ghost story and part murder mystery, Told in alternating chapters about two women, one in 1982 and the other in 2017, it is set in the fictional upstate New York town of Fell. At first glance, Fell appears to be a quiet place where very little happens. That is indeed the case except for the serial killer who claims a victim every two years or so and the ghosts who reside at the Sun Down Motel.
While the story revolves around the two main female characters, the motel becomes a character in its own right, adding tension and spookiness to the atmosphere. The author skillfully weaves the women's stories ever closer until they converge in a dramatic climax.
Good ghost stories are hard to find and this is the best one I have read in a long time. Highly recommended.
RoseMarie G. (Lewes, DE)

Those old hotels!
This was a fun book to read. Don't mean "fun" like "haha", it kept my interest going.

The story takes place in 1982 and present. Viv, who left home, makes a wrong turn on her way to NYC and ends up in a town named Fell. She ends up as a night clerk at an old hotel, where a woman's body had been dumped, before the hotel was built, and a young boy died in the pool. And they have not moved on.

Years later, Viv's niece, Carly, looking to find out what happened to her aunt, shows up in the town of Fell. And she ends up as the overnight clerk at the Sun Down Motel. As she tries to figure out what happened that night her aunt disappeared, she just about becomes a victim also.

I'll be staying at newer hotels from now on!
Charlene M. (Myrtle Beach, SC)

Bates Motel - no knife
1982 - a mysterious disappearance; unsolved murders; a journal; 2017 - a niece searching for answers; a haunted motel; ghosts; a handsome stranger; a serial killer - still around?; sounds interesting? The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James is the book for you.
Bev C. (Latrobe, PA)

The Sun Down Motel
Simone St James had me once again on the edge of my chair
with the chilling panorama of events associated with the macabre Sun Down Motel.
2 time lines seamlessly interweave.
Upstate New York, 1982: temporary night clerk Vivian Delaney is saving to journey to New York City.
Upstate New York 2017: Carly Kirk arrives at the Sun Down Motel to investigate her Aunt Vivian's mysterious disappearance from the Sun Down before Carly was born.

Creepy, haunting and chilling, Simone St James does a convincing portrayal of paranormal phenomenon lingering within the location and the walls of this eerie dwelling.

Perfect for the author's longstanding fan base as well as someone interested in a foray into her unique interpretation of ghostly suspense and thriller.
Patricia W. (Homewood, AL)

For Chills and Thrills visit the Sun Down Motel
This book keeps you on your toes. The writing keeps you involved to the point you smell the cigarette smoke and perfume. When the character breaks out in goosebumps so does the reader. That is what good writing is all about. The storyline was engaging and the atmosphere seemed very realistic. Stay out of the rain and leave the lights on until you have finished it.

Everything was on target for a good read and I enjoyed having the opportunity of an ARC in exchange for a review.
Colleen T. (Lakewood, CO)

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
This is the first book of Simone St. James that I have read, and I was delighted and very impressed. I really enjoyed the story and all the twists and turns she put into the plot. Many of the twists were well hidden and just when you thought you knew what was happening, you didn't. I liked that the characters are well depicted, and the plot is well written. I especially enjoyed the paranormal aspect of the story. I could not put the book down and when I did, I kept going back to the story, trying to figure out what was going on. For me, that is a great tale. I encourage all to give it a read!
Joan W. (Orion, MI)

Scary -
This read is as good as The Broken Girls. My imagination went a little off the chart with this one - working the night shift at an old motel with strange happenings helped Carly find out about her Aunt Viv who became missing while working at the motel 20 years ago, Ghosts, strange odors, doors closing and shutting on their own would make anyone jump. Very good story, and I would suggest you keep the lights on while reading this great read.
Elizabeth P. (Lower Burrell, PA)

The Sun Down Motel
Carly left college for a "few" days so she could head to Fell, New York, to see if she could find anything out about how her Aunt Viv died or where she might be.

Viv disappeared from The Sun Down Motel where she worked in 1982 and was never found.

When Carly arrived and checked out The Sun Down Motel, she couldn't believe her aunt would even think of working there.

It was a creepy, out-of-the way place, but Carly surprised herself and took a job there on the same shift that her aunt worked.

Carly saw strange things and knew she should leave, but she stayed. She had to find out what happened and what happens at THE SUN DOWN MOTEL.

We follow Carly as she investigates and as Viv's story is told back in 1982.

Besides the creepy town and motel, we meet ghosts, creaky doors, weird guests, odd sounds, and no way to contact anyone not on the hotel grounds. We learn about the hotel and the murders that took place in the town of Fell as well as the connection to The Sun Down Motel.

Each chapter got stranger and stranger as the motel seemed to come to life and have a life of its own.

If you enjoy tense, creepy, spooky story lines that include unsolved murders from years ago, THE SUN DOWN MOTEL will be your perfect read.

Be careful with the motel you choose, and especially do not stay at a motel that has anything remotely close to the name of this motel.

The ending is twisty and brilliant. 5/5

This book was given to me by the publisher and BookBrowse in exchange for an honest review.

The American Roadside Motel

• Book Jacket: Race Against Time
    Race Against Time
    by Jerry Mitchell
    Jerry Mitchell spent nearly three decades trailing cold cases from the Civil Rights Movement. As a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

I Want You to Know We're Still Here
    by Esther Safran Foer

"A vivid testimony to the power of memory."
    - Kirkus (starred review)

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed