Reader reviews and comments on The Sun Down Motel, plus links to write your own review.

The Sun Down Motel

Oct 2020, 352 pages

There are currently 49 reader reviews for The Sun Down Motel

Teresa L. (Corona, CA)

Ghostly Creepy Goodness!
Do not read this book alone in the dark...like I did! Ghostly, creepy supernatural with a mystery thrown in...all the good stuff you have come to expect from a great Simone St. James book! The interwoven timelines of Carly Kirk looking for her missing aunt, Viv Delaney, at a haunted motel in the middle of nowhere New York leads to an un-put-downable gripping read! And the cover is amazing! If you like ghost stories, loved "The Broken Girls", then do yourself a favor and pick up "The Sun Down Motel" on sale February 18, 2020!
Mary H. (Ocala, FL)

Ready to be Scared?
I thoroughly enjoyed this atmospheric novel that is part ghost story and part murder mystery, Told in alternating chapters about two women, one in 1982 and the other in 2017, it is set in the fictional upstate New York town of Fell. At first glance, Fell appears to be a quiet place where very little happens. That is indeed the case except for the serial killer who claims a victim every two years or so and the ghosts who reside at the Sun Down Motel.
While the story revolves around the two main female characters, the motel becomes a character in its own right, adding tension and spookiness to the atmosphere. The author skillfully weaves the women's stories ever closer until they converge in a dramatic climax.
Good ghost stories are hard to find and this is the best one I have read in a long time. Highly recommended.
RoseMarie G. (Lewes, DE)

Those old hotels!
This was a fun book to read. Don't mean "fun" like "haha", it kept my interest going.

The story takes place in 1982 and present. Viv, who left home, makes a wrong turn on her way to NYC and ends up in a town named Fell. She ends up as a night clerk at an old hotel, where a woman's body had been dumped, before the hotel was built, and a young boy died in the pool. And they have not moved on.

Years later, Viv's niece, Carly, looking to find out what happened to her aunt, shows up in the town of Fell. And she ends up as the overnight clerk at the Sun Down Motel. As she tries to figure out what happened that night her aunt disappeared, she just about becomes a victim also.

I'll be staying at newer hotels from now on!
Charlene M. (Myrtle Beach, SC)

Bates Motel - no knife
1982 - a mysterious disappearance; unsolved murders; a journal; 2017 - a niece searching for answers; a haunted motel; ghosts; a handsome stranger; a serial killer - still around?; sounds interesting? The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James is the book for you.
Bev C. (Latrobe, PA)

The Sun Down Motel
Simone St James had me once again on the edge of my chair
with the chilling panorama of events associated with the macabre Sun Down Motel.
2 time lines seamlessly interweave.
Upstate New York, 1982: temporary night clerk Vivian Delaney is saving to journey to New York City.
Upstate New York 2017: Carly Kirk arrives at the Sun Down Motel to investigate her Aunt Vivian's mysterious disappearance from the Sun Down before Carly was born.

Creepy, haunting and chilling, Simone St James does a convincing portrayal of paranormal phenomenon lingering within the location and the walls of this eerie dwelling.

Perfect for the author's longstanding fan base as well as someone interested in a foray into her unique interpretation of ghostly suspense and thriller.
Patricia W. (Homewood, AL)

For Chills and Thrills visit the Sun Down Motel
This book keeps you on your toes. The writing keeps you involved to the point you smell the cigarette smoke and perfume. When the character breaks out in goosebumps so does the reader. That is what good writing is all about. The storyline was engaging and the atmosphere seemed very realistic. Stay out of the rain and leave the lights on until you have finished it.

Everything was on target for a good read and I enjoyed having the opportunity of an ARC in exchange for a review.
Colleen T. (Lakewood, CO)

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
This is the first book of Simone St. James that I have read, and I was delighted and very impressed. I really enjoyed the story and all the twists and turns she put into the plot. Many of the twists were well hidden and just when you thought you knew what was happening, you didn't. I liked that the characters are well depicted, and the plot is well written. I especially enjoyed the paranormal aspect of the story. I could not put the book down and when I did, I kept going back to the story, trying to figure out what was going on. For me, that is a great tale. I encourage all to give it a read!
Joan W. (Orion, MI)

Scary -
This read is as good as The Broken Girls. My imagination went a little off the chart with this one - working the night shift at an old motel with strange happenings helped Carly find out about her Aunt Viv who became missing while working at the motel 20 years ago, Ghosts, strange odors, doors closing and shutting on their own would make anyone jump. Very good story, and I would suggest you keep the lights on while reading this great read.

The American Roadside Motel

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Stories from Suffragette City
    Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose, Fiona Davis
    Our First Impressions readers were fascinated by the historical fiction from a range of authors ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...

At the Edge of the Haight
    by Katherine Seligman

Winner of the 2019 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction.

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics...

T M T C, T M T Stay T S