MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Sun Down Motel, plus links to write your own review.

The Sun Down Motel

by Simone St. James

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James X
The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

• Published:
    Feb 2020, 336 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Sun Down Motel

Melissa H. (Stowe Twp., PA)

Keep the Lights on - PLEASE!
The book volleys back and forth between 1982 and 2017. Viv who disappeared narrates 1982 and Carly, her niece narrates 2017. It is fast paced and as the mystery comes to an end it is a book you don't want to put down! Though I probably wouldn't read this while on a road trip staying at motels/hotels even WITH the lights on, because you never know when they may go out!!
Karen S. (Allston, MA)

Ghosts and suspense worthy of late night reading
I would have been happy if this was just a good mystery to read between some heavier documentaries. This was much better and fun to read. The author makes some old themes fresher again: small towns and their secrets, adults who disappoint the children in their care, and ghosts giving us warnings. The suspense got me from the start and pulled me into the small world of Fell, NY, past and present. I appreciated the uncluttered writing style that did not give away clues too easily or create red herrings.

I would recommend this to those who like mysteries, and readers young and old. My book groups would probably find this too "light" for good discussion, but my beach buddies will enjoy it next summer. I am already looking for Simone St James' earlier works.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

Vacancy
Wow! This book definitely drew me in and held me captive right up to the last page. I hated that it ended but yet could not stop turning the pages. This was the first book that I have read by this author and I am looking forward to reading more.
I liked how each chapter went back between 1982 and 2017 it did keep the story interesting. SImone St. James has a great knack for excellent storytelling, she sets up her story very well, introduces each character very richly and you feel like you have known them for a long time. Her description of the motel was spot on that you could drive anywhere in the United States and find "The Sun Down Motel." Just hope that there is No Vacancy,,,
Wendy R. (Pinehurst, NC)

Twilight Zone Meets Alfred Hitchcock
If you are a fan of unexplained happenings and a good mystery, you will enjoy "The Sun Down Motel". The story takes place in a very small town in New York state. The book is a great blend of family history, closing the book on a family death and a haunting presence. The book reads like a rollercoaster, flying around corners and unraveling secrets that have been buried for years. It is a fun, sometimes creepy read that I thoroughly enjoyed. If you like "who done its", combined with letting your imagination run, this book is for you!
Rebecca L. (Torrington, CT)

Creepy and mysterious
I've heard so much buzz about this author with their recent books so I was excited to see their new release come up on BookBrowse. I don't know if it was just timing but this book was really hard for me to get started with. There's always so much to do get ready for Christmas and between that and my work schedule I was having a lot of trouble carving out time to read. Once I got into the story though, I really enjoyed the plot line. The parallel between the two different time periods was really interesting and added to the overall story plot. I really liked Carly's character and her little menagerie of friends she collected upon her arrival into Fell. I thought the author did a great job of really dragging the reader down into that spiral of obsession that happens when you become completely enveloped in a mystery. Vivian's spiral into obsession was really well written and really jumped off the page. Comparatively, some of the other emotions of the story fell a little flat to me. I'm not sure if it's because I had to keep jumping in and out of the story but some of the emotions weren't as lively as I thought they could have been. Overall the creepy/horror factor was definitely there though and I ended up really enjoying the story. I would recommend reading this one, it was an exciting read and really interesting story.
Samantha H. (Golden, CO)

Crazy finish a little hard to take.
This book is a fun, spooky read. I enjoyed the plot development as Carly's investigation and Viv's story unroll simultaneously. The twist at the end was a little far-fetched, but in general the novel is entertaining. It would be a good option to pick up in the airport bookstore.
Barbara B. (Bradenton, FL)

The Sun Down Motel
This is one of those books I truly needed to time to digest before I could even begin my review. The characters are interesting and the plot very clever. It should also be noted this is a mystery and a ghost story combined. Therefore one must be rather open minded to enjoy the story of two time periods, and two main characters. Viv's story takes place in 1982 and her niece Carly in 2017. The mystery of what happened to her Aunt Viv who disappeared in 1982 has always haunted Carly who goes hunting for answers to the family secret of what happened to her aunt and finds more than expected ! If you enjoy a good ghost story you will like this book.
Kim L. (Park Ridge, IL)

Creepy
I found this story to be a mix of a ghost story mixed with a mystery. It started off really strong and keep me interested, but the middle lagged a bit with a lot of extra detail that I could have skipped. Over all I enjoyed the story and the twist at the end.

The American Roadside Motel

• Book Jacket: Race Against Time
    Race Against Time
    by Jerry Mitchell
    Jerry Mitchell spent nearly three decades trailing cold cases from the Civil Rights Movement. As a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...

I Want You to Know We're Still Here
    by Esther Safran Foer

"A vivid testimony to the power of memory."
    - Kirkus (starred review)

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed