Reader reviews and comments on The Sun Down Motel, plus links to write your own review.

The Sun Down Motel

by Simone St. James

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James X
The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

Feb 2020, 336 pages
    Oct 2020, 352 pages

There are currently 49 reader reviews for The Sun Down Motel

Gary R. (Bolingbrook, IL)

Why I love bookbrowse!
Why? Because I get to read new, to me, authors that are just so good! This is one of them. Without giving anything away, Carly moves to Fell, New York to look into her aunt Viv's disappearance while she was working the night shift at the Sun Down Hotel! A creepy mystery that's hard to put down. Get it, read it! Enjoy!
Ruth H. (Sebring, FL)

Carly's Adventure
A well written mystery I thoroughly enjoyed! I had not read this author before and am now wanting to read her other books. Such interesting characters, Vivian and Carly, Simon, Marnie and Alma, I could just see each one of them. I like the style of this book being the past and the present. The description of the hotel was spot on since I grew up in a small town that had a very similar hotel. Carly had to have some "guts" to go there and discover what really happened. I especially liked the surprise ending! Fun read!
Nanette S. (San Pierre, IN)

The Sun Down Motel
Excellent story. This is my first experience reading a Simone St. James novel and I enjoyed every minute of it. The storylines of the past and present, told through Carly and Viv, were easy to follow. The creepiness of the motel adds to both storylines. Something happened to Viv back in 1982 at the Sun Down Motel. Move forward to 2017 when Carly decides, she herself, is going to Fell, NY and the motel to find out exactly what happened to Viv back then. Once she gets to the Sun Down Motel she sees that nothing has changed at all from when it was first built, and the creepiness of the motel hasn't changed either.
The suspense just keeps building as the pages are turned.
This one was worth it and I will read more by this author.
Sarah B. (Streamwood, IL)

Another gem
This is my second Simone St. James book, and it is another gem. The two narratives made sense, and both drove the story forward. I cared about both "main" characters. This is one of my favorite books of the year.
Barry E. (Margate City, NJ)

Well Done
Not truly being a fan of the paranormal theme, I found this book was able to combine an exciting mystery with just enough ghosts not overwhelm the plot. The paranormal enhanced the quality of an excellent mystery, not making the outcome unrealistic.
Having never read anything by the author, I would surely read her other books because of the quality of this writing. Using the technique of discussing two separate characters in alternating chapters, bringing them together as the book ended lent a sense of wanting to always continue and see what the outcome was. Once started I could not put the book down until finished.
The author was able to combine many pertinent topics of the time especially those, as a male I feel primary relate to the ongoing issues of male-female relationships in our society. Discussed in nuance terms are facts like women get killed because of the vulnerability, men like women who are vulnerable, and women can do their own things and do it well.
I highly suggest this book to all people, you will never forget Viv Delaney, her niece Carly and all the ghosts of the Sundown Motel.
Carole P. (Framingham, MA)

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James
Creepy, scary, intense , gripping....I can go on and on. Simone St James is one of my favourite authors anyway, but this time she has gone to a new level. I love a good ghost story and this one was very unique. The story alternates between Viv and her niece. Carly is determined to solve the disappearance years ago of Viv. Now around the same age as her aunt when she vanished , Carly wants to solve the mystery and so retraces her aunt's steps. Honestly, I don't know how to end this review. I couldn't put this down, was constantly holding my breath and was sad and relieved when it was done. Great read for a dark winters night.
June A. (Fort Worth, TX)

Hard to put down!
I stayed up way too late finishing this book. Loved the premise of the haunted motel, as I stayed in many creepy roadside motels as an Army brat . Many of the independent motels in small towns have an air of neglect that lend them a "Bates Motel" vibe. Viv works at and disappears from the Sun Down Motel in 1982. Her niece, Carly, follows literally in her footsteps 35 years later to try and find out what happened to her. I have added Simone St. James' other books to my "Want to Read" list after enjoying this page turner.
Frances N

Motel with ghosts and links to murders
I really enjoyed this book. It was perfectly creepy and kept me guessing for 300 pages. I liked the premise of not knowing who (or what) people/events really were. Thankfully, the chapter titles helped to remind me if I was in 1982 or 2017, since Carly and her Aunt Viv were so very much alike in their curiosity and bravery.

The American Roadside Motel

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Best Laid Plans
    Best Laid Plans
    by Gwen Florio
    When starting a series, first impressions are key. Introducing a sympathetic or relatable ...
  • Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...
  • Book Jacket: No One Is Talking About This
    No One Is Talking About This
    by Patricia Lockwood
    If anyone knows the ins and outs of living online, it's Patricia Lockwood. Before her stellar memoir...
  • Book Jacket: A Thousand Ships
    A Thousand Ships
    by Natalie Haynes
    Recent years have seen a trend in reinventions of Greek myths and legends, some from the ...

Black Widows
    by Cate Quinn

A brilliant joyride in the company of three sister-wives with nothing in common except their dead husband.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis