Summer Sale! Save 20% today and get access to all our member benefits.

What readers think of Where The Heart Is, plus links to write your own review.

Where The Heart Is

by Billy Letts

Where The Heart Is by Billy Letts X
Where The Heart Is by Billy Letts

Jun 1995, 357 pages

May 1998, 376 pages

There are currently 64 reader reviews for Where The Heart Is

Stevie Bitah
I am a freshman in high school. I read the book "Where the Heart Is" for a book report and I ended up loving the book. I like the way she overcame the way Willy jack left her at Wal-Mart and what she did with her life after that whole situation I would recommend this book to all ages.

Eugenia
I'm an ESL student. I read Where the Heart Is as part of my reading and writing class. I must have read a book and this one captivated all my interest when I read the title. I feel happy about the choice that I make. This book took out all my feelings. I think after reading "Where the Heart Is" that I'm a lucky person.

Beth Ingram
I just finished reading Billy Lett's Where the Heart Is in preparation for a college reading class I will be teaching in a couple of weeks. I found it to be wonderfully enlightening, a truly "feel-good" book touching on a culture that I am unfamiliar with, being from Ohio. It was definitely difficult to put the book down, turn off the light, and go to sleep!
I would be interested in hearing from any men who have read the book. I will have men in my college reading class when I utilize the book for the class and would like to know how the male gender thinks about this book. Please respond to my email address. ingshire@email.com Thank you!

Crystal Hume
I'm not much of a reader but when I picked up this book I couldn't put it down. The way she writes, the way you feel everything Novalee is feeling. Or how you become Novalee and you just had your baby in Wal-Mart, lost a dear friend, and how see falls in love with the most wonderful man who's ever hit the planet.

Maria
I am not much of a reader but when my sister recommended this book I have to say I could not put it down. Where The Heart Is has taught me to be strong being a young mother. I truly recommend this book it was really good.

Kristin
Where the Heart Is was written in a stylish and sensitive way. Letts captures her audience from the first paragraph down to the last word, leaving you wanting more. The sweet and quirky tale of an abandoned teenager finding life and love again in a small Midwestern town, shows all who read it that you really do get a second chance. An incredible read, you will cry and laugh, alternately, throughout the whole book.

Anita
I enjoyed reading Where The Heart Is. As an Oklahoman I could really appreciate the characters. They are like many of the people that I have known in my life. As an high school English teacher, I could understand the young women in the novel. They are like some of the young girls that I have taught. Letts does a wonderful job representing the everyday people in Oklahoma. I rarely go to the movies, but I had to see the flim. It was close to the text, and I found it very enjoyable. I met Billie Letts when she first published Where The Heart Is. She is a wonderful speaker and a talented writer.

Irene Nowak
A real "feel good" book. It makes you so aware of the humanity in everyday people. A great read.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Coin
    The Coin
    by Yasmin Zaher
    A popular choice for book jackets in recent years, perhaps especially in the historical fiction ...
  • Book Jacket: The Night of Baba Yaga
    The Night of Baba Yaga
    by Akira Otani, Sam Bett
    When Yoriko Shindo gets into a brawl on a busy street in 1970s Tokyo, she has no idea what the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Anthropologists
    The Anthropologists
    by Aysegül Savas
    A documentary filmmaker, Asya is interested in the "unremarkable grace" of daily life, "the slow and...
  • Book Jacket: Mood Swings
    Mood Swings
    by Frankie Barnet
    This book begins with a bombastic premise. Seemingly fed up with the heating planet, the world's ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.

A library, to modify the famous metaphor of Socrates, should be the delivery room for the birth of ideas--a place ...

L T C O of the B