Reader reviews and comments on Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, plus links to write your own review.

by Kathleen Rooney

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney X
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney

Jan 2017, 304 pages
    Apr 3, 2018, 304 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

Cathy M. (Milwaukee, WI)

An Enchanting Walk
Kathleen Rooney found an ingenious and charming way for 85 year old Lillian Boxfish to look back through her life. The author literally took her on a walk through memory lane by taking her through her beloved city of New York. She visits landmarks that were important to her and revisits both happy and sad memories at each landmark. As she walks to each landmark, she reflects on her life and the things New York taught her. Lillian also gains new insights into her life and the choices she has made.

If you want to read a book about an independent woman who is ahead of the times, this is the book for you. I think it would be great for a Book Club. Each member could talk about landmarks he or she might like to visit.
Amy (Clifton VA)

A reflective examination of a life & the city in which it was lived
An insightful witty reflective examination of one woman's life & the city in which she has lived, NYC. Inspired by the life of the highest paid female advertising copy manager in the 1930's, this story examines the choices Lillian has made throughout her life as she visits places important to her during her life living in NYC. She tells the story of her life while reflecting on her life & choices she made while also describing the changes in the city she lives & loves. This book would be a great book club selection as it contains many issues & themes that we all face at some point in our lives…aging, death, mental illness, etc.
Janice C. (Hayward, CA)

Lilian Boxfish Takes A Walk
I loved this book. Born and raised in Oakland. Mapping out my walk right now.
Rayna T. (Sacramento, CA)

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
I enjoyed this book. There were several parallels to my own life. I read it in 2 days. I would recommend it.
Karna B. (Long Beach, CA)

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
Interesting premise using a walk on New Years Eve to review one's life. While initially I got bogged down in the minutia of Lillian's life, I came to adore her and relish many of Rooney's sentences. I loved Lillian's reflections on her life as a woman before her time, marriage, motherhood and mental illness. I love her walk and can't wait to take my next walk.
Carol (Pawleys Island, SC)

A Long, Long Walk
My stroll with Lillian Boxfish was enjoyable. She was a spunky older woman who's life experiences were interesting to read. I laughed right through her encounter at Penn Station. The map was most helpful and a thoughtful addition to the novel.
I like books that make me turn to google and expand my knowledge about a person or place. I certainly looked for Margaret Fishback and played "Rappers Delight."
My one criticism was that the walk was a bit too long. I was ready for Lillian to get home. I was exhausted.
Karen L. (Wilton, IA)

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
I enjoyed it. It is a blend of my two favorite genres-historical fiction and memoir. I also enjoyed reading about New York City. I am a small town person. I have never been to New York City. I have always been fascinated by it but also scared of it. I thought Lillian was very brave to walk in New York city alone at night. I also thought she was brave when she ran into her 3 would be muggers. I think book clubs, older career women and people who love New York city would enjoy this book.
Jean G. (Rockford, IL)

Interesting walk
Good read with detailed chapter titles and clever, descriptive prose. It depicts a woman born in the early 1900's. Lily, in the first person, defines women in the decades up to the 1980's who were not satisfied to be typical of the non working mom, subservient to a man.

Lily is a workaholic, witty and brave. As she takes her walk, every other chapter reverts back to her past, easy to follow as she includes present day thoughts in those chapters There is very little action, as much is recollection, so this may not be exciting enough for someone in their twenties but following Lily's extreme personality through the years and a lot of memorable history of New York City, should be enough for those liking a memoir-type, historical fiction novel. And it is loosely based on a real women living in those times.

Discussion of just how stereotypical or believable this woman is might be a good topic for book clubs.

Margaret Fishback

Wolf Season
    by Helen Benedict
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!