MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, plus links to write your own review.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

Apr 2018, 304 pages

There are currently 43 reader reviews for Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

Diane S. (El Paso, TX)

What a Walk!
"Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk" and I thoroughly enjoyed every step! As she walked 10.4 miles (!) on New Year's Eve at age 85, the reader learns about her interesting life and gets to know her very well. She is young in spirit, funny, sarcastic, spunky, brave, and a feminist before that was a popular stance for women. Lillian's life would be an excellent topic for book clubs. I wish I could meet Lillian Boxfish on a walk and talk to her if only for a short time. Wonderful character, wonderful story!
Gail K. (Saratoga Springs, NY)

Walking with Lillian
I enjoyed Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk every step of the way! Her New Year's Eve walk through Manhattan becomes a metaphor for her life's journey, and I found her story compelling. Lillian is sensible, practical and sophisticated, but she is also vulnerable, a sympathetic combination for me.

Kathleen Rooney gives Lillian a powerful voice, heartening in these times when we sometimes treat our older citizens, especially women, with little respect. This novel evoked in me a nostalgia for times past. I will recommend it to all of the strong women I know.
Lois P. (Hillsborough, NC)

Come Take a Walk With Lillian!
I was swept up, enchanted, educated and amused by the fabulous novel Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk. Lillian is based loosely on the real life "highest paid woman in advertising" who worked for Macy's in New York. A woman ahead of her time, Lillian was passionate about her career and uncertain about the appeal of marriage and motherhood. Lillian lets us walk through her life as well as beside her on the streets of Manhattan. I couldn't bear for our relationship to end.
Unshelfish

Fabulous
Instantly drawn to Lilian just as the people familiar with her and those she encounters on her walk. As Lillian shares her life story, I could identify with her as well as various people in my life. We journey with her not only through her life experiences but we revisit New York's early years not excluding the crime riddled eighties playing an important part. Feminist, intelligent, independent, creative, authentic, a woman attempting to balance career and family during a time when it was next to impossible. Lilian is a woman you want to be, hope to be, dare to be, her rawness, brutal honesty and ownership is mesmerizing. Memorable, disarming protagonist combined with a sophisticated narrative spawning an irresistible read.

Rooney impresses, completely dazzled with both content and writing. Definitely looking forward to future projects from this immensely gifted authoress.
Barbara H. (Thomasville, GA)

A New Years Eve stroll of reflection......1984
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book but ended up loving this story of Lillian Boxfish and her amazing walk through New York City on New Year's Eve, 1984. It caused me to reflect on my own life of 72 years and surprised me that the author, Kathleen Rooney, was so young to have written such an insightful novel of age. I loved Lillian's spontaneity, her fearlessness, and her honesty which enabled her to be who she was and to interact with people of all ages and walks of life. This wonderful book should inspire all who read it to live life with a bit more gusto and openness. What a beautiful story of a life lived so full of life!
Beth B. (New Wilmington, PA)

A One-of-a-Kind Woman ---- and Book
At times, laugh out loud funny and others, poignant and packed with wisdom. The reader comes to "know" Lillian Boxfish and is so much the better for it. She is witty, crisp as the best apple, self-confident, and comfortable in her own skin. Lillian, as an 85-year-old, looks back on her career, her marriage, motherhood, friendships and HER city, New York. The walk she took in the last hours of 1984 is incredible in mileage and in the seven strangers she encounters and converses with. She is fearless and unafraid as she roams with an insatiable interest in people. In her words, " The point of living in the world is just to stay interested."

This is an incredible read, one you'll recommend and discuss with friends. I'm now in Kathleen Rooney's fan club!
Dorothy H. (Folsom, CA)

Looking back on the road traveled
This book is very loosing based on Margaret Fishback 's life. She was a highly paid women in advertising at RH Macy in the 30s. Lillian Boxfish loves to walk about NYC where she has lived since the 30s. The story takes place now that she is 85 and still walks about NYC. As she passing familiar places to her we have flashbacks to when she was a young women starting her career, as a noted poetry writer, wife mother and divorcee. A wonderfully written book. Great for a book club read.
Kate G. (Bronx, NY)

Lillian Walks New York
Lillian Boxfish resonated with me in so many ways. Although I am much younger, I vividly recall NYC in 1984. I was working nights and so careful about where I went, especially at night. Lillian Boxfish has led the quintessential New York life and we learn her story as she walks around on New Year's Eve 1984. Through her memories we learn about her successful career, less successful marriage and the evolution of women's rights in the 20th century. Her story reflects the story of many women trying to find work-life balance even now. Kathleen M. Rooney is a gifted writer and her story of an older woman in NYC kept me turning the pages.

• Book Jacket: The Lightness of Hands
    The Lightness of Hands
    by Jeff Garvin
    The stillness that comes right after reading a book that has wrapped itself firmly around your heart...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Half
    The Vanishing Half
    by Brit Bennett
    Brit Bennett's second novel, The Vanishing Half (after The Mothers, her 2016 bestselling debut), ...
    Tropic of Violence
    by Nathacha Appanah
    Marie is a nurse working in Mayotte, a cluster of French territory islands in the Indian Ocean. When...
  • Book Jacket: Death in Mud Lick
    Death in Mud Lick
    by Eric Eyre
    When Eric Eyre, investigative and statehouse reporter for the Charleston Gazette-Daily, began ...

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

The Last Flight
by Julie Clark

The story of two women and one agonizing decision that will change the trajectory of both of their lives.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

M's T W!