Reader reviews and comments on Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions, plus links to write your own review.

Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano X
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano

Mar 2018, 352 pages
    Feb 2019, 352 pages

Gary Presley

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions

Arden A. (Longboat Key, FL)

Auntie Mame in Sicily!
Loved this book! Auntie Poldi is a woman of a certain age, reminiscent of an aging flower child, who is headstrong, stubborn, quirky and adventurous, and just a little lustful. Well, maybe not just a little. She shares experiences with her nephew, an aspiring novelist, that one might think twice about if she weren't quite so Auntie Mame-ish. The descriptions of the Sicilians, the geography of Sicily and the food were brought to life. Even though I have never been there, I sensed that if I ever did go, this is how I would find it. And of course, there is a murder to be solved and a handsome detective who just happens to be of a certain age, as well. It is a good story with lots of twists and turns wrapped up in a beautiful, well depicted setting.
Laura M. (Norfolk, NE)

This was a fun read, not an overly heavy mystery. Auntie Poldi is bold, reckless, and stubborn, which makes her a thoroughly delightful character to follow. It will appeal to fans of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.
Nancy H. (Lisle, IL)

Witty, funny, great!
This fabulous book has a light touch, stellar writing, mystery, love and sex (ahem...among older folks...), and a warm Italian setting. I loved it.
Beverly J. (Hoover, AL)

Lively, Smart, and Dynamic
A gutsy protagonist, Auntie Poldi, who has experienced the vicissitudes of life and has a passion for cocktails and virile men in uniforms has "retired" to Sicily to drink wine and admire the scenery until a young reliable handyman disappears. As Poldi sets out to get her man, literally and figuratively, the reader is taken on several adventures that take on some challenging and deadly turns. While it took me a while to find my reading form for this novel, it was the landscape and history of Sicily, the witty dialogue, the mythological references, and Poldi's eccentric personality that kept me turning the pages.
This atmospheric novel is the first book in a series captured me with its promises of another Poldi adventure to come. Readers looking for a fresh take on mysteries, especially cozies, will delight and relish this book.
Amy E. (Delaware, OH)

Auntie Poldi and Mt. Etna solve the crime
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions provided a delightful escape from a frigid Ohio January. The warm climate, an interesting cast of characters and a murder that stymied the authorities, but not Auntie Poldi, made for a very enjoyable read.
Mary D. (Claremont, CA)

This charming, enjoyable book introduces us to Auntie Poldi, whose real name is Isolde, a cross between Auntie Mame and a slightly less cultured Jessica Fletcher. The story is told by the nephew, an aspiring writer who has joined his aunt on her move to Sicily from Munich; he is recounting the story as she tells it to him. There is a disappearance of a young man who did odd jobs for Auntie Poldi, the disappearance of the statue of a lion, and the human Sicilian lion that Poldi has set her cap for, the police inspector. Towards the very end, a murder mystery also appears. The author of the book, Mario Giordano, draws his characters well; they are believable people and he does enlighten us about the history of Sicilians moving to Germany, and often back again to Sicily. He also writes a brief summary of each chapter as a prologue to the chapter, something I am rather ambivalent about because this book was not 'deep' enough to need these clues. This book is enjoyable, fun and quite personable, told in the manner of passing on a family story rather than a serious, hardcore mystery.
Jan B. (Tetonia, ID)

Auntie Poldi and the SIcilian Lions by Mario Giordano was a delightful read. It was like listening to to a far-fetched story of a not-so-distant relative by an Uncle who "loved" a good story and who could embellish with ease.

Auntie Poldi would have been my favored aunt: large, generous, boisterous with her life and agency, and a bit sneaky on the side! She was just settling in to her new home in Sicily, when her handyman seemed to have disappeared. This turns her inner detective on, and her true self emerges as she starts investigating neighbors and odd occurrences, and generally makes herself well known in her small community, finding friends and more! This is a light, enjoyable, and amusing story.
Elizabeth K. (Glenshaw, PA)

Auntie Poldi Sicilian Lions
This book did not "grab" me right away. Perhaps the translation wasn't perfect. But, once I got past all that, it was a fun light read. Auntie Poldi, a sixty year old Auntie Mame type character, was of Italian ancestry but raised in Germany. After her parents died she sold the family home and moved to Sicily where her sisters lived. She became immersed in the community and involved in a murder that she was determined to solve. Her joy of life shines throughout.

Trinacria

• Book Jacket: Inland
    Inland
    by Téa Obreht
    It's 1893 and the sparsely populated settlement of Amargo, deep in the Arizona Territory, is ...
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Conviction
    Conviction
    by Denise Mina
    Scottish author Denise Mina's latest novel, Conviction, is a fast-paced thriller narrated by Anna, a...
    Dread Nation
    by Justina Ireland
    The war between the states is over and, instead, a very different battle is being waged for the ...

Ellie and the Harpmaker
    by Hazel Prior

A rich, heartwarming and charming debut novel about finding love in unexpected places.

Book Club
The Overstory
by Richard Powers

"Monumental… A gigantic fable of genuine truths."—Barbara Kingsolver, The New York Times Book Review

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Crudo

Crudo by Olivia Laing

A brilliant, funny, and emphatically raw novel of love on the brink of the apocalypse.

S A A B In A R