Reader reviews and comments on Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions, plus links to write your own review.

Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano X
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano

Mar 2018, 352 pages
    Feb 2019, 352 pages

Gary Presley

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions

Shawna (TX)

Welcome Auntie Poldi!
A delightful light mystery set in Sicily centered on Auntie Poldi and her community of family and friends. Easy reading with details of Sicily and food, Poldi's adventures make for an enjoyable afternoon curled up with a book. I did discover my Italian was lacking, and I looked up several phrases. Auntie Poldi will be a welcome newcomer to the genre of cozy mystery detectives.
Randi H. (Bronx, NY)

A fun start to a new series
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is the first in a new series about Auntie Poldi, a German widow who moves to Sicily to live near her sisters-in-law. Very opinionated, she soon finds herself embroiled in the disappearance of her employee Valentino Candela. She enlists the grudging assistance of a local police detective to help her search for Valentino.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Auntie Poldi is a fun character. The descriptions of Sicily and its food added to my pleasure of the book. This is a great book for anyone who enjoys mysteries set in international locations, similar to the Inspector Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri and Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti books. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.
Mary C. (Plano, TX)

Mysteries are my favorite type of pleasure reading. Auntie Poldie and the Sicilian Lions did not disappoint. The beginning was rather slow with Auntie Poldie seeming to be more of a caricature with her slipping wig and her generous cleavage as she tries to come to grips with her life in Sicily. But Poldie endears herself to me as she is a list-maker like I am and she does not buy the great-looking strappy sandals, but rather uses that money to further her crime investigation. Enter Vito Montana, a pensive heart-throb, and the book springs to life for Poldie and the reader. Montana is expertly drawn for the reader, so much so that we wish Poldie and Vito a happy ending. There is a large cast of suspects for the murder that occurs early in the book. Poldie tries to solve the murder and finds herself often in hilarious and sometimes dangerous situations. The little dog Totti and the three sisters are pals who try to help our our friend, Poldie. There is great ambience with Torre Archirafi as a setting, a place that I want to visit again in the second book, Auntie Poldie and the Fruits of the Lord. "Namaste," as Poldie would say.
Carol C. (Troy, NY)

Part travelogue, part cultural tutorial, and part character study, this leisurely paced murder mystery is a good fit for those who enjoy tales involving European settings, good food, and singular characters. The latter includes an overly curious protagonist - a Bavarian widow who has moved to Sicily to be near relatives - and a narrator who is heard but not seen. The murder plot seems almost an excuse to provide interesting and entertaining descriptions of Sicily and its culture, yet this isn't a drawback.... I look forward to more Auntie Poldi novels.
Norma R. (Secaucus, NJ)

Aunt Poldi
Aunt Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano is a fun detective story set in Sicily. The protagonist, Aunt Poldi is a quirky amateur detective. The residents of her small town harbor decades long secrets and grudges. She investigates a murder with the help of her sisters and brothers in law. Of course there is a handsome police detective and a few encounters with dangerous criminals. I enjoyed the few words and phrases in Sicilian that were spread throughout the book. I recommend this novel to anyone who likes mysteries set in a beautiful location.
Audrey M. (Overland Park, KS)

Auntie Podi and the Sicilian Lions
I thought this book was average. There is nothing that really stood out for me.
Diane T. (Slingerlands, NY)

Adrianna Trigiani Mario Giordano is not
This book was touted as a book for Adrianna Trigiani lovers. Unfortunately, this book is nothing like a Trigiani book. That being said, I would venture to say that translating a book is a very difficult exercise as colloquialisms literally translated do not have the nuance of the original language. Auntie Poldi is an intriguing character, however the author has more subplots than is necessary. I think I would look for another translator to hopefully entice more readers. Definitely a beach read.
Bev C

Auntie Poldi, a Bavarian widow, is a quirky character who survives on "escapades, entanglements" and excitement.

"On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors." The disappearance and subsequent murder of her young handyman Valentino, begins a series of adventures imbued with alcohol and Poldi's lusty vigor.

Isolde is not my favorite heroine but she definitely was a unique comedic character. You can't help but laugh frequently and I'm sure her adventures will have a loyal following.

Trinacria

• Book Jacket: The Age of Living Machines
    The Age of Living Machines
    by Susan Hockfield
    In the face of looming global challenges, such as overpopulation, resource depletion and disease, Dr...
    The Mars Room
    by Rachel Kushner
    There is palpable tension between expectation and reality in Rachel Kushner's third novel. The ...
  • Book Jacket: The Guest Book
    The Guest Book
    by Sarah Blake
    Sarah Blake's critically-acclaimed third novel The Guest Book was a hit with our First Impressions ...
  • Book Jacket: How It Feels to Float
    How It Feels to Float
    by Helena Fox
    Even though Biz's dad has been dead for ten years, he constantly visits her and tells stories about ...