Reader reviews and comments on Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions, plus links to write your own review.

Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano X
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano

Mar 2018, 352 pages
    Feb 2019, 352 pages

Gary Presley

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions

Judith S. (Binghamton, NY)

Verbosity
Reading this book was annoying and therefore difficult to finish but I did. The story was interesting - a decent mystery. The characters were interesting, funny and sexy but there were too many of them so a challenge to keep straight. While trudging through I kept wanting to edit the prose. The author's writing was ok but extremely verbose in so many ways - whether describing Sicilian geography and history or the history and background of the characters. If the book were edited down to 100 or so fewer pages, it would be a better paced mystery/romance and more fun to read.
Bev C. (Latrobe, PA)

Auntie Poldi
Auntie Poldi, a Bavarian widow, is a quirky character who survives on "escapades, entanglements" and excitement.

"On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors."
The disappearance and subsequent murder of her young handyman Valentino, begins a series of adventures imbued with alcohol and Poldi's lusty vigor.

Isolde is not my favorite heroine but she definitely was a unique comedic character. You can't help but laugh frequently and I'm sure her adventures will have a loyal following. Auntie Poldi and the Fruits of the Lord (Auntie Poldi, #2) follows.
Jane H. (Redington Shores, FL)

Auntie Poldie
I would recommend this book as a beach read or a good read after you have read a series of nonfiction or heavy drama books and need something entertaining to read. I wanted to like this book as I enjoy a mystery laced with humor but this book was not a page turner. The story did not flow and I hope the author in the future uses less adjectives in his writing and less lists to describe the scenery. He has a great idea for a new series of mysteries using an Auntie Mame character as a witty detective.
Barbara O. (Red Bank, NJ)

A Different Kind of Detective Story
A fun read but sometimes a bit too filled with geographical facts that distract from the flow of the story. Auntie Poldi is an eccentric "Auntie Mame" like character, larger than life and bent on solving a crime. The story was entertaining and I would recommend it as a good beach or travel read. For those that have visited or lived in Sicily, familiarity with the towns might be better appreciated.
Shirley P. (Colorado Springs, CO)

Auntie Poldi...
...the titled main character of this light mystery set in Sicily, is not nearly as interesting as she thinks she is. The story told sometimes through her nephew as a Greek chorus, is about a German widow who moves to Sicily to drink herself to death. Poldi is a sassy and fairly foul-mouthed 60 year old, who in spite of wanting to end it all, remains too interested in life and handsome Siciian policemen to really go through with her plan. Her interest is caught by the death of her handyman and she proceeds to get in the way by trying to solve the homicide herself, in the process falling in love with Sicily, it's food and most especially with the aforesaid policeman.
I really wanted to like this book, but I did not. I had a hard time just staying with it as it was just not that interesting in spite of the unique locale and the also unique main character. Maybe it was the translation challenges from German to English.
I am somewhat confused about this book as my library has it as published in 2016, but this reader copy is scheduled to be published in 2018. Is the publisher giving it another go?

[Editor's Note: This first Aunti Poldi adventure was published in the UK in 2016 with limited distribution in the USA. This is the first time it is being published by a USA-based publisher so it is considered a debut in the USA.]
Gretchen

It Could Have Been A Lot Better
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is complex. Poldi's aspiring author nephew is telling the story. He tells the story to us as Poldi told it to him. (I forget what point of view this is called). Unfortunately, at times this point of view makes the story confusing. Sometimes I did not know who was speaking or when the story was taking place. Perhaps this is because this book was translated from another language? Poldi reminds me a bit of Ove from the book A Man Called Ove in that she is older (over 60), eccentric, and is a bit suicidal at times. Otherwise, this book did not remind me of Ove. It took me longer than usual to get through this book than other books perhaps because the story ebbed and flowed as Poldi discovered evidence in the case. All in all, it was an okay read.

Trinacria

• Book Jacket: The Flight Portfolio
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Make Friends with the Dark
    How to Make Friends with the Dark
    by Kathleen Glasgow
    Don't go to bed angry; make up after fights; always say I love you – you don't know when ...
    Red Birds
    by Mohammed Hanif
    Mohmmed Hanif's Red Birds is part Catch-22, part Slaughterhouse-Five, part Kafka's The Castle, and ...
  • Book Jacket: Endeavour
    Endeavour
    by Peter Moore
    Miriam-Webster defines a biography as "a usually written history of a person's life." One might ...

The Volunteer
    by Jack Fairweather

The true story of one man, an underground army, and the secret mission to destroy Auschwitz from within.

Travelers
    by Helon Habila

A startlingly exploration of the African diaspora in Europe, by an acclaimed international writer.

Win The Guest Book

The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense."
—Entertainment Weekly