MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, plus links to write your own review.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

by Dave Eggers

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Feb 2000, 416 pages
    Feb 2001, 464 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Brianne (05/27/04)

A Hearbreaking Work is one of the most powerrful works of literature i have ever read. Eggers imagination and vivid storytelling skills are incredible. The fact that he follows his train of thought with such confidence is what makes this book a beatiful work.
Anonymous (05/26/04)

Modern and staggering book. Dissapointing end and would not recommend anyone to read this book. In my oinion Eggers staggers too much.
Marissa (11/13/03)

This book is soooo good. I know it sounds corny, but it really made me realize i wasn't alone in some of the things i do. I, too, have a younger brother who I helped raise, and before reading this book i felt as if some of the feelings i had were so ridiculous. Like... when Eggers talks about how he would check every night to make sure his brother was breathing. I did that too! I don't know...maybe it's still weird, but it still feels better to know that someone else did that too. I'm 17, but i think people of every age would really like it. I love this book, and strongly advise anyone to read it. Dave Eggers has this incredible knack for describing things. While reading this book, i could smell the smells and see the sights sooo clearly.
crist (10/14/03)

dave eggars is an amazing writer. "ahwosg" is so captivating, it is impossible not to love. read it!!!
Kassandra Jade (07/24/03)

I didn't simply read the book, it was more like the book read me, it controlled me to the point where I could not put it down. It's a container of emotions, and every time I opened it they all splurged out, blended, and captivated me.
Kristina (07/22/03)

Loved the book. Intelligent without that cool detachment. Moving without being melodramatic.
another staggering genuis (04/23/03)

dave eggers is my hero. ;x except, i read the book way too long after the publishing date and now i can't get my five bucks. blast.
Stacey (04/15/03)

I read this book as a nonfiction for school, and I loved it. I normaly don't like nonfiction, so that's saying a lot! The novel dipicts a 21 year old whose parents both die of cancer within about a month of each other, and how he must then raise his younger brother. Verrrrry good. :)

Do No Harm
    by Henry Marsh
    British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh might already be familiar as the subject of the Emmy-winning ...
  • Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q