MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, plus links to write your own review.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

by Dave Eggers

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Feb 2000, 416 pages
    Feb 2001, 464 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Brianne (05/27/04)

A Hearbreaking Work is one of the most powerrful works of literature i have ever read. Eggers imagination and vivid storytelling skills are incredible. The fact that he follows his train of thought with such confidence is what makes this book a beatiful work.
Anonymous (05/26/04)

Modern and staggering book. Dissapointing end and would not recommend anyone to read this book. In my oinion Eggers staggers too much.
Marissa (11/13/03)

This book is soooo good. I know it sounds corny, but it really made me realize i wasn't alone in some of the things i do. I, too, have a younger brother who I helped raise, and before reading this book i felt as if some of the feelings i had were so ridiculous. Like... when Eggers talks about how he would check every night to make sure his brother was breathing. I did that too! I don't know...maybe it's still weird, but it still feels better to know that someone else did that too. I'm 17, but i think people of every age would really like it. I love this book, and strongly advise anyone to read it. Dave Eggers has this incredible knack for describing things. While reading this book, i could smell the smells and see the sights sooo clearly.
crist (10/14/03)

dave eggars is an amazing writer. "ahwosg" is so captivating, it is impossible not to love. read it!!!
Kassandra Jade (07/24/03)

I didn't simply read the book, it was more like the book read me, it controlled me to the point where I could not put it down. It's a container of emotions, and every time I opened it they all splurged out, blended, and captivated me.
Kristina (07/22/03)

Loved the book. Intelligent without that cool detachment. Moving without being melodramatic.
another staggering genuis (04/23/03)

dave eggers is my hero. ;x except, i read the book way too long after the publishing date and now i can't get my five bucks. blast.
Stacey (04/15/03)

I read this book as a nonfiction for school, and I loved it. I normaly don't like nonfiction, so that's saying a lot! The novel dipicts a 21 year old whose parents both die of cancer within about a month of each other, and how he must then raise his younger brother. Verrrrry good. :)

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun