We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 270 reader reviews for A Child Called It

joy

best book ever
To start off I really don't like to read at all, but reading this changed my whole mind set on life. I could not put this book down when I started reading. I read this book in one day. I have never read a book this good EVER. I can't wait to read other books by him.
sammy

omg
omg love this book...this is a book that i read when I think my life is bad....it makes me realize that yeah, things may be bad, but there not as bad as they could be!!
shonna

sad story
This book is very sad, but very good. If I get the chance I will read it over - you should too!
Simone

wow.
I am a 13 year old, and this book touched me like no other!! I cried, I smiled, and I even screamed! This book is like no other! It's warming, sweet, astonishing, and sad! I thank God every day for giving me a wonderful mother to depend on!! I ALSO WISH DAVE PELZER A WONDERFUL HAPPY LIFE!!
~simone
Yesenia

A Child Called It
I thought this book was amazing because how he suffered was really astonishing. I am wondering if his mother felt ashamed of how she treated Dave?
a girl

It
I have read this book. it was heart touching and very sad. Why didn't she go to jail? I mean she deserved it.
MARIA L. CANO

A child called It
This has been the most greatest book of all time. I have never loved a book so much like this one. It let me realize that no matter how kids are they will always be kids and no one has the right to mistreat them. I cried and cried throughout the book. I recommended a lot, I could say I am not much of a reader but this is a great book. Bless your heart for telling us your story. Because of this I never hit my kids. I do put them in time out but I don't believe in miss treating them.;

Jessica Wright

Love of Christ
Just finished both books - "A Child Called "It" and "The Lost boy". Couldn't put them down.

How wonderful that David not only survived but became such a wonderful. caring person.

The thing that touched me most was that no matter how badly he was treated by mother or father, he always forgave them and craved their love. Talk about having the "love of Christ", he certainly does.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...
  • Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)