Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022

What readers think of A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 270 reader reviews for A Child Called It

cutecutepixie

A Boy Called It
This book is the saddest book ever it is about a brave young boy.His mother started abusing him at the age of 3. She burned him in the stove and made him say i'm a bad boy. She made him sit in the bath tub nude with cold water on and made him eat his brothers diapers. His mother drank a lot , his father tried to stop the abuse but he couldn't do anything about it. She didn't feed him and if he stole food she would make him vomit at the end of the day and if he did eat she would make him eat his own vomit. She would stab him and not take him to the hospital. He was the only one abused. I even cried when I read this book
Donatella Acosta

A Child Called It
A Child Called It is heartwarming yet unforgettable. It keeps you guessing. It’s known as one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. This book is about a young boy and his struggle to stay alive. During his young years, he had to learn how to play along with his mother's games in order to live. His mother was an unstable, alcoholic, and abusive woman, who took her anger out on her son. She treated him just like a slave, not a son; and an “it”, not a boy.
   What happens when the only hero you have is your dad, and he leaves? What happens when your mother doesn’t even bother to feed you? What do you do when you have to wear the same ripped clothes everyday, when your brothers get new clothes? What would you do if your brothers were treated with care, and you were abused? What happens when the school nurse checks your body and see’s cuts, bruises, and bite marks? What are you suppose to tell her? What do you do when you can’t tell anyone what’s happening to you?
   What would you do in those situations? Would you tell someone? In this case, he couldn’t tell anyone. If he did, his mother would abuse him more than he was already abused. Those terrifying questions were part of one little boys threatening life. It ends with his heroic survivor experiences as he grew up. This book would be perfect for anyone, once you read it you won’t forget it.
Prosper Maniema Mpongo

A child called it
This book clearly demonstrates on how lucky this poor boy is to endure all the tortures from his own biological parent and survived them and moved on to his adult life and make it better in order to become a grown man indeed!

This book has brought both side of the boy's life coin: the saddest of the child life and his heroic survivor experiences as he grew up!

What a traumatic life experience that he's to live through at the cost of his childhood!
Reasons why I recommend to all parents to read this book not alone but to share the author ideas w/their families and especially their kids! Mom and dad plse take time to read this book to your kids or grand children!
max mcpherson

A Child Called "It"
I read this book for my English class and it petrified me. It was very sad and in ways depressing, but I highly recommend this book to any teenager who is looking for something to read. This book moved me in a way that I have never been moved before. The book is horrifying mostly because its a true story.
buttercup

The best book written in centuries, but poor child; I will never forget such a sad story. absolutely amazing. I really recomend it.
harpreet

This book is so sad and I cried. The mother is so evil; how could she do this to her own son? It was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading it. I can't even imagine the pain David went through. It was the best book ever!!!
skylarjohnson

good but sad
As I read the book I cried so much it wasn't even funny. I had my aunt read she couldn't even finish reading it.
jess

So sad
I want to just say I read all the book crying on every page. How could someone possibly feel that way towards her own child and be so evil? She is a disgusting woman and should have payed for what she did to David. I can't even imagine the pain and torture he went through. He must have to live through this nightmare his whole life.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

Bewilderment
    by Richard Powers
    In 2019, Richard Powers won the Pulitzer Prize for The Overstory, a sprawling novel whose characters...
  • Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You
    by Isaac Blum

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, a new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

W N, W Not

The Ways We Hide
by Kristina McMorris

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.