What readers think of A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

One Child's Courage to Survive

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 270 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Asther

the abuse
This was a sad story, Ii hate the author's mother for being so cruel..Why did she treat the author differently from his brother? Isn't she biased? She had no right to hit his child without valid reason.. As this is called child abuse. The mother even want him to eat his brother's leftover cereal. What kind of mother is this?
Christine

A Child Called "It"
This book is both enduring pain. You will actually be crying with and fuming with Dave. I started to cry in class reading the painful book. It reminds us that it is still happening around us. We just have to pay attention to the world to see it happening in the shadows. It is a good book to read when you think you have it bad. It also reminds you that there are other children in the world who would wish they had your life instead of their own.
Kelsey

inspiration
Some people may say that this book consists of poor writing.This may be true in some aspects but that is not what the reader's focus should be on.The focus of this book is to give the reader a recollection of events that were inflicted on one innocent child. How you even notice the poor writing or bad grammar behind this emotional anecdote is beyond me. This book is about a child who was alone. A boy whose mother isolated him from the rest of the world. This book was written to be an inspiration to all people who are going through or have went through something similar to David's situation.Mr. Pelzer is attempting to encourage each person who reads this book that if they know about abuse that is occurring or if they are being abused that there are people who want to help you and you have to speak up.David was extremely lucky to have survived his mother's abuse for as long as he did and he wants to do everything he can to make sure others do not go through this.All in all this way an amazing book and a truly inspirational story.
brianna!!

wow
This book made me cry like a baby and made me thankful for the life that I do have...the food I get to eat and the laughs I get to share. I never knew how bad that stuff really was until I read that book.
Jenny

How Cruel
I think it is so cruel and unnatural for a mother to hate her kid so much. I thought it was so heartless that she burnt his arm, shoved his brother's diaper in his face, and stabbed him (not on purpose- SHOCKER) but with what this child went through growing up I am so happy that he got over it.
christian vanderveur

inspirational.
This book was recommended to me by one of my teachers in 8th grade. When she told me to read it I thought it would be boring and the same as any other book, but that night when I took it home and started it I found myself getting depressed and sympathetic for David. I could not put it down it took me about 3 days to read in between homework and projects, but after I read it I didn't feel depressed anymore... I felt more more inspired then I've ever felt in my entire life. It made want to, and still up to this day, want to pursue a career in being a social worker in child welfare to help in preventing this from happening to other children. Dave Pelzer is my one of my biggest hero's.
Alex McDonagh

A Child Called It
This book can show you how good most people really have and think that they are treated badly, I recommend this book to all teens to show them just how much they really have.
Tishana Weaver

A Child Called It
This book is a very great book because it a heart warming book. I think any child could read this book, and love it and want to read it over and over. So pick up this book read it love it and be glad to say you read this outstanding book.

Join and Save 20%!

Foster
    by Claire Keegan
    Dr. No
    by Percival Everett
    Percival Everett's novel Dr. No follows Wala Kitu, a professor of mathematics at Brown University ...

Honor
by Thrity Umrigar

Members Recommend

Dinosaurs
    by Lydia Millet

"Tender but never sentimental, wearing its intelligence in a low-slung style, Dinosaurs is a garden of earthly delights."—Vogue

W N, W Not

Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim