What readers think of A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 270 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Emily-Rose Astley

the book
As a 11 year old I think this book is very good and on the other hand it is also upsetting because it makes you realise what and how people can be so mean and cruel to their children. When I read it I feel so sorry for Dave Pelzer for what he has been through in his childhood.
Anthony McDonald

A Child Called It review
This book was very inspirational but yet touching at the same time. It made you feel for the kids who's families are not well put together. You get a sick feeling to know that there are people who treat their children like dirt.

The whole book had me ever since the very start. I don't read that often but this book held my interest. So I give this book 5 rating.
Tony McDonald

Best Book of the Millenium
Have you ever read a book that made not want to put it down. No, well you should read this. It keeps you from setting it dpwn because you want to see what will happen next.

Best Book Of The Millenium!
Deseray

Wow
I went to the book section in K-mart while my parents did their shopping and I found this book. I started reading it and just wow. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I just started crying in the store and my parents couldn't figure out why. This is probably the most amazing book I have read in my life. It just makes me cry every time I even think about it. EVERYONE deserves to be treated like a human. Nobody deserves to be called an it or be abused or raped or anything. Its just WRONG.
katelynn marie sutton

FANTASTIC!!!
This book is fantastic. I love it. I've never read a book more heart wrenching, yet I still wanted more. I cried and I smiled. I was glad for him. It's a shock he is as...well, as normal as he is now...
dino

AMAZING:
This book is amazing! My friend brought this book to school for me called a Child Called It. I though i would read it. When I started I couldn't put it down all class, I would just read it. People liked me to read it out loud because they couldn't believe what Dave had gone through. He is courageous and unbelievable and the pain was real! I have recommended it to tons and they have all got themselves a copy. Thanks for taking the time and putting your life on paper!
Beth hunt

Change Through A Book
I loved it. It was one of the most heartbreaking, insightful books I've ever read! The story of Dave kept me captivated form the first page to the last word of the last page. I recommend it to anybody looking for a good book of some inspiration.
mrs_marie

Opened Eyes
I would first and foremost like to say that A Child Called It is an amazing book and regardless if some of Dave's accounts are "over-exaggerated" point is he still dealt with the abuse and everything Roevra put him through. Now when doing a literary report on it; I look down on the father. Even tho there were times when he tried to help he gave up. HE WAS A MALE... SHE WAS A FEMALE!!! HE WORKED... SHE DIDN'T...!!! He could've saved enough money up to get all his children out of the house and prevented majority of the abuse that happened. How could anyone watch their wife abuse their first born child? Honestly I really don't understand this concept. How could you leave your son even, knowing you were his only hope to survive... UGH.. Personally the father is just as bad as the mother... IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE!!!
Like it or not this is my opinion
Key words:My Opinion

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

River Sing Me Home
    by Eleanor Shearer

A remarkable debut about a mother's gripping journey across the Caribbean to find her stolen children in the aftermath of slavery.

It's A G T Me

A library is thought in cold storage