What readers think of A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 270 reader reviews for A Child Called It

hannl

OMGOSHHHHH !(:
This book is the best . There is nothing like it . It was sad and hard for me to read. Read it now ! you will love it !(:
Jade

A child called it
I personally think that this is a book hugely based upon the strength of the young boy. It is deeply moving. I really liked it. It made me think all the things I take advantage of.
Paulie

The Child Called It
I am a foster parent, and to the person that assumed that the author lied, should do some soul searching. I have meet the author and his story is true, along with many children all over the world. I too would have questioned things like that at one time until I received a child in my home that was chosen to be the one abused out of three. Things like that really happen. His story was written to help himself cope with what happened, and to help others that the same thing had happened too. Dave has several books out, I recommend that you read each of them. Please be aware that an abuser can look just like you and me.
McDonald

A Child Called "It"
Well this is one of my favorite books. And who would ever do that to there kid. Its one thing to punish you kid but its another to abuse them. And I don't understand why you would do that. If you are looking for a book and you can find one just ask the person working for A Child Called "It"! If you like true stories this is the book for you!
loryn

this book is superb
I found this book to be amazing and very inspirational. I was first inspired to read this book when the author came to my school as a guest speaker, after his visit I purchased the book and had finished it within a couple days. Since the start I was unable to put it down and I think Dave did a wonderful job reliving this graphic detail of his terrifying childhood.
Nathanael

HOW DARE YOU TERRY!
I remember Julie, the unrated reviewer on page 4. I also looked up the book and I also found that the so called book you talked about is a farce and that Julie was right, people like you need to get your facts straight! Plus, HOW DARE YOU! for calling David a liar, I highly doubt that Mr. Peltzer would make something up like that, this review is from the same 15 year old boy named Nathanael on page 3, now 16 and still loving to read and talk about this wonderful book, I still like to look at the reviews and see what people think of this book. when I read your review Terry, it hurt me so much that I had to write back. If you read these reviews, which I highly think you don't do, tell me something, did you interview Mr. Peltzer before making these accusations? and to maybe the brother was jealous of Dave, what about that? Did you talk to maybe some of his teachers if they are still alive? And are there court documents that talk about Dave's situation? Also, if you were getting starved by an abusing parent, aunt, uncle, ...., would you not steal food if you could not get any? I know I would. Dave too if you read this review please take heart that i am and Julie is too that we back you up fully, and we love you. I have recommended your book to many people. it shows a real man, when you talk about things like that. My heart goes out to all that has been abused in all forms, mentally, physically, emotionally, and sexually. and for Julie, I commend you for your bravery in looking that information up, that was truly brave. thankyou for listening.
Amanda Hardy

A Child Called It
I had to read this book for a child abuse class I'm taking in college. I've never read anything that has made me madder, cry, or be sick to my stomach than what happened to that little boy. Most people don't understand because they've never exposed to a situation like that and probably never will. The book was a big eye-opener to what really goes on behind closed doors.
Monica Chavez

Review
I think this story is very sad. His mother was very abusive and well I think she should have gone to prison for intended murder.I recommend this book because its a very good story to read. Especially if you are a person like me that gets bored very easily.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

It's A G T Me

The fact of knowing how to read is nothing, the whole point is knowing what to read.