MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Sold, plus links to write your own review.

Sold

Sep 2006, 272 pages
    Apr 2008, 272 pages

There are currently 45 reader reviews for Sold

Gayan Perera (05/10/09)

ILOVE ISHARA
Sold is a very good book. Even though it has adult things in it, the story is good one. It is very easy to read as well.
asha (04/30/09)

superb
I am 17 and this is by far the best book I have ever read. Lakshmi is an absolutely real character who's pain and sorrows remind us to be grateful for all we have. Having already grown up in a dirt poor village she is forced into a life of oppression in one of the worst ways.
Her emotional journey is one that any reader can appreciate, and I myself cried many times will reading this book.
This is absolutely based on things that happen to children who are trafficked in India. I think people need to be informed and somehow get involved because those kids need someone to save them.
Nicole (05/02/08)

awesome
This book was really really a good book to read. it really made me put myself in Lakshmi's shoes and really see what her and the others experienced. it was tragic and horrible for her father to sell her into sexual slavery. It was a really good book.
Kat (04/27/08)

Very interesting
You would not think that something like what happened in Sold could happen or that it's going on in this world. I didn't want to believe that what happened in the book was true. I couldn't imagine being sold to be a "maid". This book taught me a lot about Nepal and what happens there and when I am older I will try to find a way to help because it is so devastating. I would defiantly recommend this book.
abiha (02/14/08)

sold.
An excellent piece of literature. Very good book that makes you realize how lucky we are that we know how to read and write. I makes you realize about little things in life and how lucky we are that we don't live in such area where poverty exists.

abiha hasan
14 year old -female.
Lesley P. (02/01/08)

A MUST READ....
It is rare that a book grabs hold of my mind but this book IS one of the few that have. Everyone should make the time to read this book.
Mary Jane (01/12/08)

It was okay
I thought the book was okay but still not detailed enough, I wanted more detail in the places she didn't put detail and less in the places she put lots, Overall I didn't enjoy the book as much as I thought I would.
nif (12/17/07)

thought provoking
Sold was a great book in many ways. It made me realize that people live on the same planet as me but it seems like they live hundreds of years in the past. I worry about how my appearance looks while Lakshmi worries about starving to death. I really took this story to heart and I haven't bought as many clothes lately. I haven't been to the mall in four months or so, and for a teenage girl, that's pretty good. I hope that people don't have to go through that pain everyday to survive. This book was great and I hope that you enjoy reading it too! =]

• Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q