Reader reviews and comments on Sold, plus links to write your own review.

Sold by Patricia McCormick X
Sold by Patricia McCormick

Sep 2006, 272 pages
    Apr 2008, 272 pages

There are currently 45 reader reviews for Sold

Louise Jolly (02/21/11)

Wonderful Novel!!
The innocence with which Lakshmi, a 13-year-old girl, is lead into prostitution is truly heartbreaking. Lakshmi lives with her Ama, stepfather, baby brother and her precious goat, Tali in a small village in Nepal. Her days are filled with chores, caring for her cucumbers, her goat and attending school.

Lakshmi’s friend Gita has gone to a big city to work as a maid and is sending her wages home to her family. They now have lights inside at night while Lakshmi’s home is still studded with darkness. Lakshmi hopes to become a maid for a rich family in the city too so she can send her wages to her Ama to buy all the necessities she needs but has never had.

Soon the Monsoon season hits and washes away all the crops Lakshmi’s family had, so it is now time for her to take a job to help support her family. Lakshmi is excited but also worried whether Krishna, the shepherd boy, who she says has: “...sleepy cat eyes...” will wait for her as she has been promised to him in marriage.

Even ensconced in a house of ill repute far away in India, the innocent Lakshmi still believes she is there to be a maid. The prostitutes decked out in their brightly coloured clothing with make-up and bangle bracelets, Lakshmi wonders if she has landed in a house of movie stars! Lakshmi still doesn’t understand that her stepfather has SOLD her into prostitution to re-pay his debts. The atrocities that are visited upon Lakshmi by the men and her house mother are utterly shameful and disturbing. I’ve never felt such compassion and sorrow for a character as sweet and innocent as , Lakshmi.

The story was told in a series of vignettes which is quite different from other writing styles but suits the story and book well. SOLD will now become part of my permanent collection as it’s the type of story that I’ll read again as I won’t ever forget the innocent Lakshmi. I’d love for Ms. McCormick to pen a sequel to find out what happens to Lakshmi later on in life.
em (01/23/11)

Welldone
Nothing bad to say really. It was a wonderful book. Well done.
:-) (01/08/11)

Sold
This book was amazing! It opens your eyes to different things in different countries. It is amazing with the vivid detail. I can not imagine going through what Lakshmi did. She is a great character!!!! :-) love this book
Unknown (01/05/11)

I don't like this
Ummmm... not only India has prostitution but every country including America has prostitution, murder, rape, sexual assault, etc. and there have been 50 rapes in America committed by the same man who still isn't caught yet.
Jordan (12/15/10)

Sold
This book is okay. It jumps back and forth at times, and sometimes there is info in it that is not needed.
Allen Ken Ito Liu (12/06/10)

Revolution/Pioneer
I believe the author of this pure book has guts. Obviously, she wrote this kind of story and is a pioneer, for others who never had the gut to write kinds of "sold", and feared critics review. I'm glad someone just had enough courage to make deal about what is happening in the world where others were just blind of. Therefore, this receives 5 out of 5.
Madelyn (11/29/10)

Sold
This book was one of the best books I have read this year, it grabbed me from the first page. I could feel Lakshmi's pain all the way through this heart gripping story, I think what made this book so emotional for me is that I know this does happen, and it's not just made up which is awful to think about but I'm hoping more and more reader's will read this and try to make a difference in the world, over all WONDERFUL read.
Precious Briggs (09/23/10)

Sold
I like this book the book. It is very good. I did not know that this is going on in this world. I can not believe it.

• Book Jacket: The Overstory
    by Patricia Hampl

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    by Clemantine Wamariya

A riveting story of dislocation, survival, and the power of stories to break or save us.

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes