Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak X
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 77 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Avid Redwaller

Why anyone and everyone should read it
I needed a break for the obvious endings of fairy-tales, and unsatisfying closes in other books, and then a subtle xmas present turns into a HUGE find

This book is so unexpected, and written in an ambitious form I've never seen. This book is so so so...refreshing. the grim humor, just-so details, and totally completely perfectly imperfect characters, its just plain wonderful
Barbara

The Book Thief
This is one of the most haunting and memorable books I have ever read. I was extremely impressed with the writer's fluid use of simple words and imagery to evoke dramatic impact on the reader. My book club was almost turned away from the book because of the choice to categorize it as "Juvenile" literature - which I think is a huge disservice to the book and the author. The story is very rich and anything but juvenile.
Cynthia

Captivating words and illustrations
Since I concur with all the reviews of this book, I wanted to focus on Zusak's use of several literary devices. Rather than chopping at the primary narration of Liesel's and Death's stories, the interjection of these devices made the book read ever so smoothly. First there are the narrator's "sidenotes" - explanations of words or explanations of another character's thoughts. And most importantly there is the inclusion of two stories written by Max for Liesel. I thought "The Standover Man" and "The Word Shaker" best illustrated the human compassion which haunted Death. Absolutely remarkable book.
Gunta

A Treat !
Fabulous. Insightful. Heartbreaking. Full of hope for the future of that era. A testimonial for the indestructible human spirit. Quite truthful historically as well as in terms of human suffering during that war. I know this because I was there.

This well written, well researched book would be enjoyed by all ages.
Mary

The Book Thief
I have just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. At first, I was a bit put off by the format...everything was in very short sections, but as I continued, the sections lengthened and I was thoroughly caught up in the story line.

Having Death as the narrator provided a very interesting point of view. We don't tend to think of "Death" as being a "job," but "he" came across as an intelligent, thoughtful being who went about doing what was needed, commenting on humanity as "he" went on about his tasks. I have heard it said by many that they don't fear "Death" itself, but the actual process of dying. Zusak's personification of "Death" supports this concept.

While it is hard for me, as a Jew, to sometimes accept the fact that there were Good Germans during that time period, there were good and innocent people who were caught up in the events of WWII. And, as in all conflicts, the most unlikely people turn out to be heroes and persons of great compassion, understanding and love.

I would highly recommend this books. The characters are all intriguing and there is much more to them that what is immediately present.
Neil

Superlative
This is a superlative book that should be read by as many people as possible – from about 9th grade level young people to adults. The author illuminates complexities of human behavior and also helps us to see depths of good and evil that are often missed.
Kathy

A wonderful book
I found this book to be wonderful. I am not sure if it is a child's book, I think my 12 year would have had a hard time with it. I finished the book in 2 days while on vacation, I could not put it down. The author made me feel like I was part of the family, living with Liesel, learning and understanding her new family and friend with her. I liked that Death was narrating it, and the fact "he" was not anyone bad, just a person doing his job like everyone else. I will keep this book to re-read and have my daughters read when they are a little older and and get the most out of it. I highly recommend it to everyone
Rhonda

The Book Thief
What a very different approach to a well covered subject. From the moment you figure out who the narrator is, this book despite being over 500 pages long, holds your attention. The characters are rich and complex and book clubs would enjoy delving into all their personalities and conflicts. It centers around the rise of Hitler in a small part of Germany and how this affects the lives of the people who live there. Markus Zusak has a very different style of writing that I enjoyed and would recommend to everyone. You will smile and cry and carry it with you when you are done.

• Book Jacket: Feast Your Eyes
    Feast Your Eyes
    by Myla Goldberg
    Myla Goldberg's latest novel, Feast Your Eyes, is ostensibly about the works of fictional ...
  • Book Jacket: Greek to Me
    Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris
    Mary Norris' Greek to Me received an overwhelmingly favorable response from our First Impression ...
  • Book Jacket: Miracle Creek
    Miracle Creek
    by Angie Kim
    Miracle Creek, the debut novel from Angie Kim, hinges on the mysterious explosion of an oxygen tank....
  • Book Jacket: Courting Mr. Lincoln
    Courting Mr. Lincoln
    by Louis Bayard
    19 out of 21 of our First Impression Reviewers rated Louis Bayard's latest novel, Courting Mr. ...

Women Rowing North
    by Mary Pipher

The instant New York Times bestseller from the author of Reviving Ophelia.

Book Club
Her Kind of Case
by Jeanne Winer

A highly-recommended emotion-filled legal drama with three starred reviews!

Win Miracle Creek

My husband asked me to lie. Not a big lie...

A thrilling debut novel for fans of Liane Moriarty and Celeste Ng.

I I T S Form O F