Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak X
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 77 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Sara Placuszok

AMAZING!
This book way simply amazing! It had really good imagery, and a really good story line! And it also had a lot of heart! I thought that this book should receive all of the medals that it deserves! This book was AMAZING!
sharon

A wonderful read for all ages
Don't let the "young adult" tag fool you, this is a fabulous read for everyone. Refreshing and dare I say entertaining for such serious subject matter. Anyone who loves books will love Liesel. History, humanity, morality, tragedy...this is a book I treasure.
Emily Bridges, Taylor Sims, Amber Hardesty, and Cody Grantham

Book Thief Review
From the perspective of Death, The Book Thief, is a book not only with suspense, but also a story full of intensity and emotion. It is the story of a little girl named Liesel Meminger who is adopted into a German home during World War II. Her mother had been taken away by the Nazis in January 1939. The different events of Liesel's life tell an unforgettable story of love, death, and war. We recommend this book because it will keep you on your toes and wanting more. As you read you will discover exactly what life was like for the families during World War II. As soon as you start reading you will not want to put the book down.
Paige

Surprising Tale Of The Hardships of Liesal Meminger
At first glance, I wasn't sure I would enjoy this book. At only thirteen, I felt it might be slightly too strong and advanced for me. Needless to say, I loved this book with all of my heart. I eagerly flipped through the pages, hungry for more. I found myself crying for a full thirty minutes in the end, since Liesal is my age in the book, I could very closely relate. Her blossoming relationship with Rudy, Hans Hubermann's version of the war, And Max's hardships piece extremely well together in this book. It has got to be, hands down, the most compelling, emotional, and inspiring book I have ever read.
Josie Chance

The Book Thief
This book is a very good book for learning about the times of Hitler and his reign over Germany. It gives good facts and it keeps you entertained. The narrator of this book is Death but it makes it that much more interesting because it changes our perception of death It is so well written that it makes you become the characters and you feel what they feel. This book will make you laugh and cry. I recommend it for everyone
Erin

The Book Thief
The Book Thief is an awesome book. I love how death is the narrator and makes you see things in a different perspective. Even though he likes to ruin endings, he keeps you on your toes until the very end. It is a story of a young girl that lives in Molching, Germany during the holocaust and War World II. She has a special love for books and reading, which gets her through the roughest and toughest parts of her life. The Book Thief can your imagination to places it has never been. I would definitely suggest this book for someone to read.
Katy Ann

Bittersweet
The Book Thief was a tremendously compelling story. Zusak has the ability to put these words on paper and create something that reaches inside of you and pulls out your inner most emotions. It shows the struggle to stand up for your beliefs and morals when in a society where they aren’t. It also proves you can have a loyal friend even in the roughest of times. I found it quite compelling how he uses “Mein Kampf” a hateful book and allows it to save someone and create a bond between Liesel and Max. Using Death to narrate the book sets it apart from any other book about the Nazi Reign. Zusak manages to create characters everybody seems to see a small piece of themselves in the wonderful novel.
montse

captivating and astoundingly well written
This book speaks to the young and old alike.
It reminds us that the most important things in life are friendship and love. Despite all the hardships that Liesel faces throughout her life she manages to keep her head up to learn. Her heartbreaking story captures our hearts and this book really speaks to all. sets the theme across and inspires us all!

• Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...
  • Book Jacket: Fireborne
    Fireborne
    by Rosaria Munda
    Inspired by classical political theory and the French Revolution, Rosaria Munda's YA debut Fireborne...

The In-Betweens
    by Mira Ptacin

"A fascinating history of an American community of Spiritualists... a fabulous read."
    —Elizabeth Gilbert

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D